Problem installing Windows 8.1 on clean drive. Error at Expanding files.

avz10

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I have searched the internet for advice in this regard, but have not been successful. Here is my problem:

As I had connection problems with a 2TB Seagate external hard drive, I removed my one internal HD (500GB) and replaced it with the 2TB hard drive.

I cleaned the 2TB HD with UBCD 511.

I then downloaded the Windows 8.1 Enterprise trial version from the Windows site and unplugged my other, much older internal HD (160 GB), also a Seagate, in order to do a clean install on the 2TB drive.
    I used Rufus to create a bootable USB. I am using an 8GB new USB.

The PC booted and gave me an error message (0X0070003) when it got stuck at Expanding Files (0%) for nearly half an hour; requisting drivers with this type of file: Setup Information.
    I opened the USB, and found all the folders, opened and tried a lot, but did not succeed to find the drivers. I then aborted the installation.

I then cleaned the USB and tried “5 ways to make a USB bootable from WikiHow", using command prompt. The same happened. Stopping at expanding files (0%) and requesting drivers, as mentioned above.

So, I am stuck. I can always try to install Windows on the 160GB HD, but as it this drive is getting old, I thought of installing Windows on the 2TB.

Specs of the desktop:
2.8 GogaHertz IntelCore i5-2300
Multicore
2x internal hard drives (160 GB and 2TB)
Avermedia capture card

DougLYX

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
from what i read from various sources..u need to do a clean install to 1 hd only.
clean install - no partitions of any kind already on the hd
windows 8 will force gpd on everybody and any drive which is really intrusive imo. it should be user optional
tho it's really freaky when installing from usb stick..even if u have uefi compatible hardware..i had a few install crashes so far in the past 3 days,,i'm still trying to work out the bugs
waiting on bro to burn me a copy to disc so i can try that way(burner in his pc, not my x32 system which i'm typing this from)

DougLYX

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
ok, from what i know of windows installs..
windows copies files over from media to ram, then expands them from ram to hdd/ssd for actual install
when u get expanding errors..it's either bad sectors on hdd/ssd or bad ram.
theres a few boot from usb tools available to check for both problems, imo i'd run test on ram first
get memtest86 from memtest.org
i think theres a usb boot version on there to use