problem installing xp

This is a continuation of the last post I had a couple days ago. I have a
new hdd. I am trying to install xp on it and having nothing but problems.
It runs through the set up and then gets so far and says that there is a
problem with the set up and installation cannot continue. It says that it
could be a damaged disk. The disk is not damaged, as it is brand new. I
called the manuf. of the hdd and they said it is a windows problem. I am
getting a stop error screen with the following information:

Problem caused by the following file: partmgr.sys
DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS

Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Tech Information:

***STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF87CD667, 0x00000000, 0xF87CD667, 0x00000000)

partmgr.sys

Does anyone have any information or suggestions for me? This is really
starting to piss me off.

Stacy

Malke

Stacy wrote:

> This is a continuation of the last post I had a couple days ago. I
> have a
> new hdd. I am trying to install xp on it and having nothing but
> problems. It runs through the set up and then gets so far and says
> that there is a
> problem with the set up and installation cannot continue. It says
> that it
> could be a damaged disk. The disk is not damaged, as it is brand new.
> called the manuf. of the hdd and they said it is a windows problem. I
> am getting a stop error screen with the following information:
>
> Problem caused by the following file: partmgr.sys
> DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
>
> Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
>
> Tech Information:
>
> ***STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF87CD667, 0x00000000, 0xF87CD667, 0x00000000)
>
> partmgr.sys

I don't know what you did or posted about a few days ago, but did you
test your RAM? Bad, flaky, marginal RAM is one of the prime suspects
when an operating system won't install. Test the RAM - I like
Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you have to get the program
from a working machine. You will either download the precompiled
Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to make a bootable
cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have third-party
burning software on the machine where you download the file - XP's
built-in burning capability won't do the job. In either case, boot with
the media you made. The test will run immediately. Let the test run for
an extended period of time like an hour or two - unless errors are seen
immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I know there is nothing wrong with the RAM. Everything in the computer is
new. The only thing that isn't new is 1 of the cd drives. The motherboard
went out and we just replaced that along with new RAM to fit the motherboard.

"Malke" wrote:

> Stacy wrote:
>
> > This is a continuation of the last post I had a couple days ago. I
> > have a
> > new hdd. I am trying to install xp on it and having nothing but
> > problems. It runs through the set up and then gets so far and says
> > that there is a
> > problem with the set up and installation cannot continue. It says
> > that it
> > could be a damaged disk. The disk is not damaged, as it is brand new.
> > called the manuf. of the hdd and they said it is a windows problem. I
> > am getting a stop error screen with the following information:
> >
> > Problem caused by the following file: partmgr.sys
> > DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
> >
> > Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
> >
> > Tech Information:
> >
> > ***STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF87CD667, 0x00000000, 0xF87CD667, 0x00000000)
> >
> > partmgr.sys
> >

> I don't know what you did or posted about a few days ago, but did you
> test your RAM? Bad, flaky, marginal RAM is one of the prime suspects
> when an operating system won't install. Test the RAM - I like
> Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you have to get the program
> from a working machine. You will either download the precompiled
> Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to make a bootable
> cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have third-party
> burning software on the machine where you download the file - XP's
> built-in burning capability won't do the job. In either case, boot with
> the media you made. The test will run immediately. Let the test run for
> an extended period of time like an hour or two - unless errors are seen
> immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Stacy

Download the diagnostic program from the HDD manufacturer website, and run
it.. also run the 'write zeros' function, which will completely remove all
partitions and everything else from the drive.. then use a Win 98 boot
diskette to partition and format the drive.. if it glitches at any point,
the drive has a problem.. if it doesn't, try to run the XP setup procedure
again..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Stacy" <Stacy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is a continuation of the last post I had a couple days ago. I have a
> new hdd. I am trying to install xp on it and having nothing but problems.
> It runs through the set up and then gets so far and says that there is a
> problem with the set up and installation cannot continue. It says that it
> could be a damaged disk. The disk is not damaged, as it is brand new. I
> called the manuf. of the hdd and they said it is a windows problem. I am
> getting a stop error screen with the following information:
>
> Problem caused by the following file: partmgr.sys
> DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
>
> Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
>
> Tech Information:
>
> ***STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF87CD667, 0x00000000, 0xF87CD667, 0x00000000)
>
> partmgr.sys
>

> Does anyone have any information or suggestions for me? This is really
> starting to piss me off.
>
> Stacy

Ok, I have no idea with a write zeros function is. How do I do that? Also,
you are suggesting that I try to install 98 and then do an upgrade?

Stacy

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Stacy
>
> Download the diagnostic program from the HDD manufacturer website, and run
> it.. also run the 'write zeros' function, which will completely remove all
> partitions and everything else from the drive.. then use a Win 98 boot
> diskette to partition and format the drive.. if it glitches at any point,
> the drive has a problem.. if it doesn't, try to run the XP setup procedure
> again..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Stacy" <Stacy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is a continuation of the last post I had a couple days ago. I have a
> > new hdd. I am trying to install xp on it and having nothing but problems.
> > It runs through the set up and then gets so far and says that there is a
> > problem with the set up and installation cannot continue. It says that it
> > could be a damaged disk. The disk is not damaged, as it is brand new. I
> > called the manuf. of the hdd and they said it is a windows problem. I am
> > getting a stop error screen with the following information:
> >
> > Problem caused by the following file: partmgr.sys
> > DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
> >
> > Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
> >
> > Tech Information:
> >
> > ***STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF87CD667, 0x00000000, 0xF87CD667, 0x00000000)
> >
> > partmgr.sys
> >

> > Does anyone have any information or suggestions for me? This is really
> > starting to piss me off.
> >
> > Stacy

Sorry, I figured out what the write zeros function is.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Stacy
>
> Download the diagnostic program from the HDD manufacturer website, and run
> it.. also run the 'write zeros' function, which will completely remove all
> partitions and everything else from the drive.. then use a Win 98 boot
> diskette to partition and format the drive.. if it glitches at any point,
> the drive has a problem.. if it doesn't, try to run the XP setup procedure
> again..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Stacy" <Stacy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is a continuation of the last post I had a couple days ago. I have a
> > new hdd. I am trying to install xp on it and having nothing but problems.
> > It runs through the set up and then gets so far and says that there is a
> > problem with the set up and installation cannot continue. It says that it
> > could be a damaged disk. The disk is not damaged, as it is brand new. I
> > called the manuf. of the hdd and they said it is a windows problem. I am
> > getting a stop error screen with the following information:
> >
> > Problem caused by the following file: partmgr.sys
> > DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
> >
> > Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
> >
> > Tech Information:
> >
> > ***STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF87CD667, 0x00000000, 0xF87CD667, 0x00000000)
> >
> > partmgr.sys
> >

> > Does anyone have any information or suggestions for me? This is really
> > starting to piss me off.
> >
> > Stacy

Stacy

I am not suggesting that you load Win 98.. I am suggesting that you
partition and format the drive using the programs on a Win 98 boot
diskette.. then when you install XP, accept the option to format NTFS..

--

> Ok, I have no idea with a write zeros function is. How do I do that?
> Also,
> you are suggesting that I try to install 98 and then do an upgrade?
>
> Stacy
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Stacy
>>
>> Download the diagnostic program from the HDD manufacturer website, and
>> run
>> it.. also run the 'write zeros' function, which will completely remove
>> all
>> partitions and everything else from the drive.. then use a Win 98 boot
>> diskette to partition and format the drive.. if it glitches at any point,
>> the drive has a problem.. if it doesn't, try to run the XP setup
>> procedure
>> again..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Stacy" <Stacy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This is a continuation of the last post I had a couple days ago. I
>> > have a
>> > new hdd. I am trying to install xp on it and having nothing but
>> > problems.
>> > It runs through the set up and then gets so far and says that there is
>> > problem with the set up and installation cannot continue. It says that
>> > it
>> > could be a damaged disk. The disk is not damaged, as it is brand new.
>> > called the manuf. of the hdd and they said it is a windows problem. I
>> > am
>> > getting a stop error screen with the following information:
>> >
>> > Problem caused by the following file: partmgr.sys
>> > DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
>> >
>> > Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
>> >
>> > Tech Information:
>> >
>> > ***STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF87CD667, 0x00000000, 0xF87CD667, 0x00000000)
>> >
>> > partmgr.sys
>> >

>> > Does anyone have any information or suggestions for me? This is really
>> > starting to piss me off.
>> >
>> > Stacy

Malke

Stacy wrote:

> I know there is nothing wrong with the RAM. Everything in the
> computer is
> new. The only thing that isn't new is 1 of the cd drives. The
> motherboard went out and we just replaced that along with new RAM to
> fit the motherboard.

With all due respect Stacy, "new" is irrelevant. Hardware can fail out
of the box. Troubleshooting needs to be done in a very methodical and
thorough way. If you haven't tested your RAM, you haven't done
systematic troubleshooting. You need to eliminate all factors. Things
to try in your situation:

1. Test the RAM.
2. Test the power supply, making sure it is adequate for the devices in
your computer. This means swapping out the psu for a known-working one.
3. Test the hard drive.
4. If the above 3 items test good, try to install the operating system
with nothing in the computer attached to the motherboard except:

a. Video card
b. RAM
c. The hard drive - only one
d. The new cd drive - leave the other one unattached to the power
connector.
e. The floppy if you have it. If your computer will boot without a
floppy drive connected, leave it unconnected.

If the operating system installs correctly, you know that some other
component was causing difficulty, perhaps causing a short. I had an
older cd-rom drive that did that and it was very hard to trace down
that problem.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Ok. Tested RAM - tested good. Tested psu - tested good. Now I am ready to
test the hdd. My question is this. I have the diagnostic program on a disk.
Can I just put that in my drive and restart the computer? I'm not sure how
to tell if it will start up from the cd drive. I do have the BIOS set to
boot from cd drive currently.

Stacy wrote:

> This is a continuation of the last post I had a couple days ago. I
> have a new hdd. I am trying to install xp on it and having nothing
> but problems. It runs through the set up and then gets so far and
> says that there is a problem with the set up and installation cannot
> continue. It says that it could be a damaged disk. The disk is not
> damaged, as it is brand new.

I don't know what your problem is, but if I were you, I wouldn't assume that
because the disk is brand new, it can't be damaged.

Like almost every other product, even brand new Windows CDs can be
defective.

Or if you mean the HD, not the Windows CD, those can also be defective right
out of the box.

Again, I'm not saying that's your problem, just that you shouldn't rule it
out so quickly.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> I called the manuf. of the hdd and they
> said it is a windows problem. I am getting a stop error screen with
> the following information:
>
> Problem caused by the following file: partmgr.sys
> DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
>
> Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
>
> Tech Information:
>
> ***STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF87CD667, 0x00000000, 0xF87CD667, 0x00000000)
>
> partmgr.sys
>

> Does anyone have any information or suggestions for me? This is
> really starting to piss me off.
>
> Stacy

frodo

Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote:
> With all due respect Stacy, "new" is irrelevant. Hardware can fail out
> of the box.

I've got to agree, 100% !!!! I've put together many systems, and I
learned the hard way to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS test the RAM as the very
first step. Update the BIOS to latest available, reset the cmos, review
and set all bios settings to desired values, then test the RAM w/
memtest86+. Only after at least 1 hour of testing w/ ZERO errors do I
proceed w/ installing an OS. Even a single error is a problem, do not
proceed until it is resolved.

Many "brand new" boxes have issues w/ RAM, where simply swapping sticks or
slots resolves the issue. I've had boards that simply would not work w/
one brand of DIMM, but worked just fine w/ another (and the "bad" dimms
worked just fine in another motherboard).

ok, ram tested fine. I guess I will have to try the diagnotic program and
hope it will boot from the cd and run.