Problem: Lag spikes to router

OathBound

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Hello,

I have a lag spike problem when pinging to my router and with this comes my lag spikes when playing online games. (I timed the lag spike with the pinging to the router)

The thing is only me and my girlfriend use this connection and when we both play League of Legends, only I have these lag spikes. I have tried several things to fix this problem, yet it is always there.

The thing began when we bought a new " Huawei-e5180 " mobile broadband router. (I do not live in my own country and this is the best solution, also I cannot buy regular cable internet, because my landlord does not let me)

I was originally on windows 8 when the problem began few weeks ago, then i tried everything and decided to change to windows 10, yet the problem still occurs.

My laptop model: HP Pavilion g6-2240eu

Here is a link to my PC specifications (made with Speccy): Link

Also things I have tried:

Removing IPv6
Using DNS server: 8.8.8.8 ; 8.8.4.4
turning off autoconfig of wlan
etc.

Thank you.

Joe Porter

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Okay, firstly how are you connected to your router? Presumably as you posted this in the wireless section of the forum you are connected wirelessly :) Try using an ethernet cable and see if you still get lag spikes or if it only happens when connected wirelessly.

"I have a lag spike problem when pinging to my router and with this comes my lag spikes when playing online games. (I timed the lag spike with the pinging to the router)"

Just want to clarify what you mean by this.

Did you do a tracert and capture a spike between the hop between your pc to router?

OathBound

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Thanks for your answer.

First: Yes i am connected via wi-fi

Second: I pinged my router via cmd and played an online game simultaneously, when i lag spiked in game , there is a lag spike to the router as well

Tracert does not capture a spike, because the spikes are random and every 10-15 min; I captured the spike using: ping 192.168.8.1 -t in cmd

Joe Porter

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Okay, Well as I suggested see if you get the same problem if connected via an Ethernet cable. If you do then it suggests a problem with your WIFI adapter. I would try updating your wireless adapter to the newest driver as well, that might sort it.

OathBound

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
I've already updated my network adapter to the latest driver, dating 18-May-15

unfortunately i cannot use an ethernet cable, but i am pretty sure that it wont give me a problem because i previously used a cookie (huawei hilink) , which i put directly into my computer as an usb, and i had not problem with it.

Joe Porter

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I am not talking about for a permanent solution. Can you not even use one for an hour or two just to test it? Another possibility is that you are receiving interference which your NIC does not like. You could try changing the channel to see if it stops. I would recommend trying channel 1/6/11 if possible.

OathBound

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
I will test a bit with an ethernet cable, okay. I've tried changing the channel already, with no result.
Also did you read the part that my girlfriend is 1 meter away from me and has no lag spikes, using the same network etc.

Joe Porter

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Yes I did which is why I very much think it is an issue with the network card, now as you say you have reinstalled the latest drivers already I would guess it is either interference (which it probably isn't, but is still worth checking.) Or a hardware fault. Have you got a different wireless adapter you can try in your laptop or can you try yours in your girlfriends laptop and see if the issue persists?

OathBound

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
I just played a game connected via ethernet cable and had no problems.

Yes, we have different adapters her adapter is realtek rtl8723AE 802.11n

I dont understand how can i use her adapter and vise versa?

I mean i cant take it out of my laptop

Joe Porter

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I wasn't sure if you may have a USB dongle or something. but it seems like it is a problem with your network adapter. The next thing I would do is to try using a usb adapter and see if that solves it. If so we can almost certainly say your Wireless NIC is shot.

Joe Porter

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Yes, I did mean something like that, It sounds to me like your Wireless network interface card is the problem here. Seeing as you were fine with a dongle and when you tested it with ethernet. There is not really a lot you can do except try some different drivers. ( I know you have already updated to the latest driver) I would try uninstalling your NIC from device manager and reinstalling it using an earlier driver. If that doesn't work I am afraid you will need to replace your NIC.