[SOLVED] Problem making new SSD my boot drive!! Please help

Jun 2, 2021
I’m trying to install Windows 10 onto an SSD to use as my primary boot drive, but would like to keep my current HDD for storage. I am unable to clone the HDD to the SSD as the data on the HDD is greater than the total storage on the SSD.

So, I downloaded a windows media creation tool and set it up on my external hard drive. I then manage to install windows onto the SSD via booting through the external hard drive, but after than I am unable to boot the PC from the SDD. I have played around with almost every setting in the BIOS and retried installing windows 10 and the whole process countless times but it never works. I’ve tried using cmd and diskpart to make sure everything is formatted correctly but I can never boot to the SSD and it’s really making me frustrated!!

Any help would be much appreciated and if anyone has any questions I’d be glad to answer, thank you!!

Solution
Bios should be Windows UEFI, not Other OS.
Unless you have legacy stuff like an old sound card, then CSM should be disabled (that's a legacy compatibility module).

Use a USB stick, not a USB drive, with the windows media tool created boot.

Follow those directions, should clear it up.

Unplug every drive except the ssd.

MBR is master boot record, and it's ancient. Still works fine, but has a 2Tb limit. It keeps all the records for the entire drive in one small spot. Best for 1Tb and under drives. GPT is newer, doesn't have the 2Tb limit, so preferred for larger drives. Does the same thing as MBR, just goes about it differently.
Any help would be much appreciated and if anyone has any questions I’d be glad to answer, thank you!!
Install windows with only new SSD connected.
Clean the drive before installing windows onto it. Use diskpart clean method.

delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg

Reactions: Dean0919
Jun 2, 2021
In your original post you stated you installed from an external USB hard drive not USB memory stick.
Notice the words USB hard drive as in windows may have put the boot partition on the external hard drive.
Potentially, but I am still able to boot to the usb hard drive to the windows install and then install it onto the SSD

Jun 2, 2021
I definitely
That means - you installed windows on ssd with hdd still connected.
HDD has to be physically disconnected. It contains botloader.

When you install windows and there is bootloader already present on some other drive, new bootloader on ssd will not get created.
SSD doesn't get made bootable then.
I definitely unplugged the power cable to the HDD, when installing windows onto the SSD, although I did leave the SATA cable connected

Jun 2, 2021
BTW - data on HDD is less than capacity of SSD. It is possible to clone.

Anyway ..
Assign letter H: to 300MB EFI System partition on Disk 2.
execute from elevated command prompt:
bcdboot D:\windows /s H:
Scow screenshot from command output.

If there are no errors, then
reboot into BIOS and​
set Windows Boot Manager on 1TB drive as first in boot order.​
It may be necessary to disable secure boot also.

Endre

Reputable
P
I’m trying to install Windows 10 onto an SSD to use as my primary boot drive, but would like to keep my current HDD for storage. I am unable to clone the HDD to the SSD as the data on the HDD is greater than the total storage on the SSD.

So, I downloaded a windows media creation tool and set it up on my external hard drive. I then manage to install windows onto the SSD via booting through the external hard drive, but after than I am unable to boot the PC from the SDD. I have played around with almost every setting in the BIOS and retried installing windows 10 and the whole process countless times but it never works. I’ve tried using cmd and diskpart to make sure everything is formatted correctly but I can never boot to the SSD and it’s really making me frustrated!!

Please follow these steps:
  1. Save your personal files on an external drive.
  2. Download Windows 10 and make a bootable USB flash drive using Media Creation Tool.
  3. Insert the bootable flash drive in a USB 2.0 port.
  4. Enter BIOS menu (using “Delete” key).
  5. Select as the #1 boot priority - the flash drive. Also, disable all the other drives as boot options.
  6. Restart.
  7. Windows is installing. Choose the clean install (not the upgrade one).
  8. Delete the partitions located on the SSD (you should know which ones are by their size).
  9. Re-create partitions.
  10. Format the partition that you want to use as your boot drive (future Local Disk C).
  11. Continue setup.

I understand that there are many steps listed here. But that’s how you do a clean Windows re-install.

Jun 2, 2021
BTW - data on HDD is less than capacity of SSD. It is possible to clone.

Anyway ..
Assign letter H: to 300MB EFI System partition on Disk 2.
execute from elevated command prompt:
Scow screenshot from command output.

If there are no errors, then
reboot into BIOS and​
set Windows Boot Manager on 1TB drive as first in boot order.​
It may be necessary to disable secure boot also.

You are correct but I would prefer to use a clean install anyway.

For some reason the bcdboot command didn't seem to work, this was the result:
View: https://imgur.com/a/cb7MmjW

Again, I appreciate your time and help!

For some reason the bcdboot command didn't seem to work, this was the result:
Are you sure, you assigned drive letter H: to a correct partition? Did you assign it at all?
You have to assign it to EFI system 300MB partition on Disk 2
(not to 300MB Recovery partition on Disk 1).

Can you show current screenshot from Disk Management?

If you did assign drive letter correctly, then execute following from elevated command prompt:
(if you get any errors, then stop immediately)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 2
(select 928GB disk)​
list partition
select partition 1
(select 300MB EFI system partition)​
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H:
(this one may fail, if drive letter is already assigned to some other partition)​
exit
Show screenshot from command output.

Jun 2, 2021
Are you sure, you assigned drive letter H: to a correct partition? Did you assign it at all?
You have to assign it to EFI system 300MB partition on Disk 2
(not to 300MB Recovery partition on Disk 1).

Can you show current screenshot from Disk Management?

If you did assign drive letter correctly, then execute following from elevated command prompt:
(if you get any errors, then stop immediately)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 2
(select 928GB disk)​
list partition
select partition 1
(select 300MB EFI system partition)​
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H:
(this one may fail, if drive letter is already assigned to some other partition)​
exit
Show screenshot from command output.
Doing this gave me a 'BFSVC Error'.

See image: View: https://imgur.com/a/1w2SBof

Also had to assign it to M: instead of H:

Jun 2, 2021
Yes. Use rufus.

Clean it using diskpart clean method (post #4).
I’ve tried, and still no luck.

I tried both an MBR version and GPT version, formatting the disk to each one and still not booting into windows. I can see what I open the files on the SSD that the windows files are installed but there is no windows boot manager in the BIOS and when I boot through the SSD it doesn’t load anything.