Question Laptop only boots to BIOS after losing power.

dontbesojumpy

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I have a Sager Laptop that runs Windows 8.1. The battery is pretty shot and it stays plugged in almost all the time. However, under some circumstances it sometimes loses power (gets accidentally unplugged) and the battery goes dead rather quickly.

When this happens, upon restarting the computer, it will only boot into BIOS--not actually boot the computer. It happens so often I know all the correct settings by heart. I carefully check them all, there's nothing to change, so I "save and exit" or "exit without saving" (reboot) only for it to go back to BIOS.

This will happen over and over and over and over various amounts of time until at some point it finally boots up as it should. Sometimes it takes 10 tries. Sometimes only a few.

Why does this happen? No settings are ever adjusted to "fix" it into booting correctly.

The only thing I can hazard as a guess is that maybe it boots into BIOS until the battery has some minimum % recharged, but since it's plugged in theoretically I should be able to take the battery out and as long as it remains plugged in, should work.

Thoughts?