Problem partitioning Hard Drive

Trippledixx

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
Hi, i'm trying to partition my second hard drive (not C: ) to install Linux Mint on it (the drive has 465GB of free space). I tried to do this by opening Computer Management -> Disk Management. and then I right click and select "Shrink Volume" on the drive I want to partition. It then loads for a few seconds and then I can choose how much I want to shrink it. Problem being, the maximum amount it lets me shrink is 906MB. Why can't I shrink more?
My Hard Drive:

• 1TB
    ~460GB used
    ~460GB free
    No other OS on it (not my C: drive)

Note: If I do the same thing on my C: drive it loads for 2-3 Minutes and lets me shrink it for up to 300GB. On F: there is no System Relevant data, just 400Gigs of Movies and other Private Files.

Solution
Once you use the disk it's impossible to partition beyond the largest trailing contiguous unused space. Basically your systems is like this
-Windows partion start
-Files from 0 to 60gb
-files from 500 to 900gb
-partition end at 1TB

You can only partition starting at 900gb in that case.
Once you use the disk it's impossible to partition beyond the largest trailing contiguous unused space. Basically your systems is like this
-Windows partion start
-Files from 0 to 60gb
-files from 500 to 900gb
-partition end at 1TB

You can only partition starting at 900gb in that case.

Solution

Trippledixx

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016

Thank you very much, thats exactly what happened. I'm defraging it right now with Auslogics Disk Defrag, hope that helps.

Possibly I'm misunderstanding your present drive configuration but isn't the 460 GB (or 465 GB) of "free space" on that disk unallocated disk-space? If that is the case is there any reason you cannot create a partition of whatever disk-space you desire (up to 460 GB - 465 GB) in that unallocated disk-space and install whatever data you desire?

That only holds if your repartitioning software first compresses the file structure! Like I said, you can only make a partition in the largest trailing contiguous unused space. You cannot make a partition in the middle of another (at least not one that works as intended). If that phrase is foreign to you, I suggest checking the hard-drive articles on wiki for more information.

Since the OP used the phrase that the 1 TB HDD had "free space" I was under the impression this "free space" might simply be a reference to unallocated disk-space. However it appears that is not the case, i.e., the 1 TB HDD is single-partitioned containing some 460 GB of data.

It might still be possible for the user to shrink the partition via Disk Management in order to accommodate the program in which he/she has expressed interest. See...
http://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-shrink-a-disk-volume-beyond-the-point-where-any-unmovable-files-are-located-00432
https://mindwithheart.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/windows-8-fix-you-cannot-shrink-a-volume-beyond-the-point-where-any-unmovable-files-are-located/

We have used the instructions contained in those articles with some success in the past.

TRENDING THREADS