[Problem] PC boots but no beeps even without ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkbunneh

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I have a problem with my PC.

So today i turned it off and when i came back to turn it on it turned on just fine...but the screen said "no signal" and there wasnt a boot beep like normal. I use an Emachines monitor and it was working perfectly (i know its not my monitor because im on my emachines pc right now using it and i used it right before i turned off the pc)
I reset the Bios and even checked the ram one by one and even removed it.
my motherboard isnt beeping when there isnt ram in it either.
All the Fans are running and i even reseated the CPU.

Also the Power button turns it on but wont turn it off and im forced to unplug it.

So if anyone can help it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! :(

Specs:

Power Supply: 480 Watt LOGISYS
Hard Drive: 500gb Seagate HardDrive
Video Card: ATI Radeon x1900
Motherboard: Biostar G31D-M7
CPU: Intel Pentium D 2.8ghz
Ram: 3GB DDR2 800 MHz

Solution
If you have a dedicated videocard, remove it. Remove the RAM as well and check to see if you have memory error beep codes.

If still no beep codes, remove the hard drive and ROM drive. If still no beep codes with nothing but the processor in, you have a bad motherboard.

chris13th

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
If you have a dedicated videocard, remove it. Remove the RAM as well and check to see if you have memory error beep codes.

If still no beep codes, remove the hard drive and ROM drive. If still no beep codes with nothing but the processor in, you have a bad motherboard.

Solution

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Did you make sure that you had power going to your monitor? Check both ends of the cable, maybe it's not completely plugged in the monitor itself.

As for the beeps - you need to have an internal speaker to hear the beeps during the boot process. Most of the time you can hear if your computer is starting up normally or not.

You also need to hold the power button in for a few seconds before it will turn off. This is normal. I believe it's 5 seconds.

FYI: Before taking your computer apart, always start at the source. If its your monitor - double check the power cable (Both ends) and make sure it plugged in. Then try using another monitor.

darkbunneh

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

okay the monitor was working perfectly before i shut it off. i know how long it takes to shut off a pc this one just doesnt. its a custom built pc

darkbunneh

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

How could the monitor be messed up if im using it right now is what im asking

I haven't heard a beep code in 5 or 6 years .... haven't done a build that has a speaker in that long.

Have you used the on screen menu to insure that the correct input source is selected ? Are you perhaps using DVI on the e-machines and HDMI on the other one ? That would generally require reselecting the input via the OSM.

Blak0ut

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
have you tried switching the red switch on the psu to 110v?
sometimes for whatever reason it can get moved to the 220v, and your pc will turn on but you wont see anything.

darkbunneh

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

odd that the 220v lets me turn off my pc but the normal setting is 115 Im not sure whats wrong but this allowed me to turn off my pc Any other ideas?

ricvantri

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011

I have the exact same problem and i can't beleive that the mobo can be burned. It should be a simple thing but the point is what could it be?. I'm sure that the MoBo is working but for one reason the video don't want to come up. Who can explain that in mine the video card get hot?. The truth is that one thing i read here is the voltage could be also by a mistake in 220 V - 50 Hz, it is a simple switch, that was something that i didn't check but anyway i tried with two PSUs :sarcastic:

DrMASS

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Ok, I done all this, and the only thing left is the CPU and the CPU-fan.
I also tried the CPU in another motherboard aswell.

The AMD CPU is an AM3 SEMPRON 140 and I have unlocked one of the cores so its has total of two. I Overclocked it to 228FSB and it run fine for 5 seconds then the computer died. Have a killed the CPU now ?

Kiarash_Ghazi

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
I Believe switching the rams and trying different slots might solve the problem. It has worked for me couple of times when I get the short circuit like power ,that is: fan going on and off and everything seems to be working for couple of seconds, its either a Power Problem or Ram related problem.The best way to detect it is run by the list and start from the power supply and work your way down to the motherboard.I Hope that Helps.

There is also the basic solution of holding the power button down for 30 and plugging the power cord back in.

Kiarash Ghazi Zadeh
You can Message me if you have any specific question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS