Question Problem performing a clean windows 8.1 install.

Ruckus95

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
Hello, im trying to perform a clean install on a new hard drive ive bought. All goes well through the setup until i have to select which drive to install windows on. When i select the drive in question, an indication tells the following:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu"

If i try to create a new partition all the same, an error pops up:
"Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300001"

So i tried many things after this. I first restarted the pc in order to access the BIOS. One thing i should mention, i dont think this is a BIOS in the traditional sense, more of a UEFI, but for convenience 's sake ill use the former term. So as i enter the BIOS, i check my storage configuration. The SATA controller is enabled, all SATA ports are enabled, the boot configuration is AHCI. I read that switching to IDE might work, so i tried it. No changes, i get the same message i got from the 1st install attempt. I then went into the cmd to try to check the specs of my hdd. I suspected it to be write protected but it wasnt. I then went to create a partition manually. The commands i used:

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk 0(the only hdd present)
Create partition primary

At this point a message appears:

"the service's cache has become corrupt.

Diskpart has referenced an object which is not up to date"

. Tried converting to mbr/gpt in turns, same message. Loaded UEFI defaults and retried the install, no progress so far.

At this point i dont know what to do.
Some info on my hardware:
-Motherboard: asrock 970m pro3
-HDD: WD BLUE SATA 1TB 64mb cache
-installation media: Windows 8.1 DVD

More information will be provided if needed. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Ruckus95

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
In Diskaprt; insert a "clean" after selecting the disk and then try partitioning.

Diskpart>List>Select>Clean>Create

Though I would let 'windows install' actually format the disk, you can also do it in diskpart if you prefer.
Hello, I tried the clean command on the disk. Nothing changed. I want to specify that this is a brand new HDD that has never been used before.As for windows install, I mentioned in my post that it wouldnt let me partition it, I noted the error that pops up after trying so. sorry if i wasnt clear. thanks for your reply.