Problem Radeon 9700 Pro...AGD speed resetting to O

Restola

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
I hope this is the right forum, I looked around and couldn't find a troubleshooting board (hopefully I didn't miss it).

I'm reading the a aquamark benchmark thread...figured I'd run a benchmark. Comes back pretty crappy (like half of equiv systems). That's strange.

So I'm flipping through my video settings (cat 4.2) and my AGP speed is set to off. Thats strange...was at 4x...bios is 4x. I turn it back to 4x, restart, all me video is drawing real slow, then my monitor flicks off, flicks back on, and AGP is back to OFF.

I replaced my power supply yesterday (it made a loud POP and started smelling like burning the night before). Could my 9700pro have been damaged when the old one burned, could the new powersupply (exact same 350w thats always been in there) is having issues, or is it more likely I damaged it somehow?

I've also uninstalled my Cat 4.2's and installed 4.3s. Same issue. Set BIOS agp to auto/4x/8x one at a time, same issue.

Suggestions?

lik

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
The same thing happened to me when I instaled my 9800Pro. The thing was, I've not erased all nV crap in my pc and the old nV drivers where causing that. Try a driver cleaner and reinstall Cat and than post here to say how it went! It worked for me! :)

P4-2800->FSB800, Asus P4P800, 512DDR-400, Radeon 9800 Pro - 128Mb

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
So you have done benchmarks before and after the power supply blew up, and it has dropped?

All I'm saying is, have you actually <i>noticed</i> a drop in performance? It's entirely possible it's always run like that. you don't say there's any problem apart from low performance.

Have you previously upgraded from an Nvidia card? If not then I'd suggest you didn't install your motherboard AGP drivers when you built the system. (assuming you were the one who built it of course)

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

Restola

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Whether or not I "noticed" the change is an excellent point. I was getting equivilent scores to other users with similar systems previously (on different benchmarks, several weeks ago).

However I seem to have fixed the problem...

I installed the chipset drivers. Someone mentioned it...and I realized I never did. I nearly doubled my benchmark score.

Makes me wonder if it has always been like that. I'm going back and retesting all the games I play and benchmarks I have. Someone needs to slap me.