Problem re-installing windows vista/xp

_minkzar

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
All,

Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit.
Dell inspiron 1720

After experiencing some internet connection problems, low connection, no connection, server busy etc... I thought I might have a virus, but I checked the system several times and no virus was found, I figured that vista was yet again being tempremental and I decided to just re install vista and clean my computer out. I did not format the OS primary before re installing vista. I got to the last stage in the installation (completing installation) and then the computer just hangs, switches to a black screen and shows the pointer. SO I shut it down and tried again this time formatting the drive, same black screen, and again, and again, and once more. All the same. Tried in safe mode, and it freezes whilst loading windows files, tried normal boot. Tried a recorvery download, didnt work all operations just stop and its dead end. At my last resort I thought i could install XP then upgrade using the vista installation disk to vista. XP doesnt seem to recognise the HDD. After researching I found some people with similar problems found it was a error with there HDD stopping them from installing operating systems. What should I do? Do I need a new HDD, a new copy of vista, RC of windows 7? NEEEDDD HEELP i'm getting really pi$$ed off...... :pfff:

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I doubt the HDD is causing the problem. It probally is a virus somewhere in your boot sector. I don't know what kind of virus scanner your using, but I would boot the machine back into safe mode and run the virus scan again. Aside from that, unless your trying to repair a windows installation, you should always delete your system partition and recreate a new one before loading your OS.

_minkzar

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

How do you suppose I run the virus scanner when I have no operating system. The computer wont boot at all.. thats the problem... I was using AGV 8.5...

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
This sounds similar to a problem I had installing Windows XP on a Dell Precision 370. It would install, and then when it rebooted it would blue screen.

The problem was the hard disk driver. XP didn't have it.

The real solution is to download the driver, put it on a floppy, and then load the driver while doing the OS install.

The easy fix is to go into the BIOS and change the Drive setting from SATA/RAID to Combination.

Another thing you could try is loading Windows 7 RC1. It has a lot more drivers than Vista.

_MikePC_

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I am running into the same problem on a Precision 370. I started from scratch by creating a new partition and re-formating. When the install is complete the system reboots and the blue screen appears complaining of a virus. I have tried a new disk and NEW motherboard. The same thing
happens. Mike

G

The same thing happened to me and I have only had the computer for a year and a half. I paid money to Dell's support system to help me and they stole the money and ran without doing ANYTHING. I am so angry this is making me violent. I need this computer for both work and school. Any ideas would be great, and people, do me a favor NEVER BUY A DELL!

G

How did you find this and fix it?