[SOLVED] Problem regarding an access point and wanting a wired connection

Nov 29, 2020
In the apartment I live in internet is provided in the form of an access point. The access point is connected to an ethernet jack in my wall. I would like to still get a wired connection instead of wireless. I tried connecting an ethernet cable directly into the jack and my computer. The connection worked well but my landlord complained that I was "Strangling the network" by connecting straight to the jack. Is there a way for me to still get a wired connection?

Solution
I guess it depends on how much data you are transfering. A quality AP could easily exceed 300mbps if your are close. If the AP were wifi6 and your computer was also people report 600mbps fairly close to the AP.

So I can't see how he thinks you are hurting his network unless he has crappy old AP that limits you to say 20mbps.

Not sure what you do. I doubt the lease says anything about how much bandwidth they provide. Almost all these so called free internet with the apartments are barely worth what you pay for them...ie nothing. Sharing bandwidth with many other apartments just doesn't work well. Best option is to see if you can get your own internet connection directly from a real ISP. It all depend what wires...

kanewolf

Titan
In the apartment I live in internet is provided in the form of an access point. The access point is connected to an ethernet jack in my wall. I would like to still get a wired connection instead of wireless. I tried connecting an ethernet cable directly into the jack and my computer. The connection worked well but my landlord complained that I was "Strangling the network" by connecting straight to the jack. Is there a way for me to still get a wired connection?
Could you get a router that uses WIFI as the input source? YES. Would it perform any different than a direct WIFI connection? NO.

Have you talked to your landlord about paying a premium for wired network access?

I guess it depends on how much data you are transfering. A quality AP could easily exceed 300mbps if your are close. If the AP were wifi6 and your computer was also people report 600mbps fairly close to the AP.

So I can't see how he thinks you are hurting his network unless he has crappy old AP that limits you to say 20mbps.

Not sure what you do. I doubt the lease says anything about how much bandwidth they provide. Almost all these so called free internet with the apartments are barely worth what you pay for them...ie nothing. Sharing bandwidth with many other apartments just doesn't work well. Best option is to see if you can get your own internet connection directly from a real ISP. It all depend what wires are coming to your apartment. Best would be if there is cable tv service from a external provider.......I know some apartments have their own rip off offering and do not allow you to get tv or internet from a real cable company.

Solution
What kind of access point does the landlord use? Commercial and small business grade wifi access points allow you to bandwidth limit the access point, which is probably what he's doing to stop data hogs and probably uses guest isolation as well.

Do you need a LAN cable if you're being bandwidth limited anyways?