Problem Reinstalling PCI Modem, Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangster3591

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I have a Dell Dimension 3000 running windows xp. Recently I noticed the PCI modem showed a red 'X' in device manager. Curiously though, there seems to be no missing functionality, except Winamp media player which now sounds like hell.
I uninstalled the modem, hoping that a reboot would generate a working copy. It didn't. The new modem showed a yellow '!' and a message: 'device is not configured correctly' (something to that effect). I ran the hardware wizard, which soon announced ..'unable to install this device'. No explanation, no details, no advice.
What does a computer dummy like me do now?
Any help will be genuinely appreciated.
Thx

Solution
So, ummm... how's the sound now? :lol:

Get the modem driver from Dell by clicking
HERE and selecting "Communications"

Since you volunteered that you are a dummy, you need to download the modem driver and then actually run the file/program you downloaded to get the driver installed.

One more thing... You might want to check that your sound card is the selected audio device and not the modem.

Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio (tab)>Sound Playback, Default device;
make sure it is showing your sound card.

So, ummm... how's the sound now? :lol:

Get the modem driver from Dell by clicking
HERE and selecting "Communications"

Since you volunteered that you are a dummy, you need to download the modem driver and then actually run the file/program you downloaded to get the driver installed.

One more thing... You might want to check that your sound card is the selected audio device and not the modem.

Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio (tab)>Sound Playback, Default device;
make sure it is showing your sound card.

Solution

gangster3591

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

Many thanks for your help tigsounds. Actually, the Winamp player still sounds better than Windows Media Player ever did lol.
I found what appears to be the right driver at Dell, under communications: Intel 537E,v.9X,PCI, Modem Driver. The malfunctioning driver is 537EP, not 537E - all other characters identical).
During install the wizard reported 'problem with installation, this device may not work correctly', error code 22 (?). Same result in safe mode.
Yep I'm stumped. Can I try another driver?

gangster3591

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

Aren't I the horse's ass lol :whistle: The PCI modem problem occurred when unnecessary services, including telephony, were disabled. So I suspect that may have been the cause. At any rate I don't need the modem since the PC uses cable internet. So probably best to forget about it.
Again, thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.