[SOLVED] Problem setting up a WiFi repeater

avz3

Prominent
Jan 8, 2022
Hi, this is my first post here and I hope that I placed it right. I hope that you can offer help or advise to the issue I'm facing. I've purchased a WiFi repeater from Aliexpress. of course it has no manufacturer's name or model on it. I've connected it and it's recognized by my pc with a wifi adapter on it but it doesn't enable to connect to the repeater even though the repeater was set up on "open" mode, without the need for a password. the odd thing is that both my cellphones, one Iphone and the other an Android, connect to the repeater and work flawless. my router is a D link DSL G256DG. is there a cure for it?

Solution
Hi, thanx for your reply. the repeater came with setup instructions that aren't very clear to me, as I'm not a network expert and I've done my best to follow them. I guess that I did right because as I told (and I'm not telling it for the sake of argument, but I want to understand) the cellphones are able to connect to the repeater, so there must be an explanation why the pc is not able to connect. the repeater has a WPS button on it but I checked the manual of the router (D-LINK DSL G256DG) and as far as I can tell, unfortunately it doesn't include this option.
Without being able to see some documentation for what you have, it is going to be difficult to help you. A lot of the web pages for that D-Link are in Italian. You...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, this is my first post here and I hope that I placed it right. I hope that you can offer help or advise to the issue I'm facing. I've purchased a WiFi repeater from Aliexpress. of course it has no manufacturer's name or model on it. I've connected it and it's recognized by my pc with a wifi adapter on it but it doesn't enable to connect to the repeater even though the repeater was set up on "open" mode, without the need for a password. the odd thing is that both my cellphones, one Iphone and the other an Android, connect to the repeater and work flawless. my router is a D link DSL G256DG. is there a cure for it?
Did the repeater come with ANY instructions? Some require the use of WPS. Some use an APP to configure. But the extender has to be told which WIFI signal to repeat, just like a laptop has to be told which WIFI to connect.

avz3

Prominent
Jan 8, 2022
Did the repeater come with ANY instructions? Some require the use of WPS. Some use an APP to configure. But the extender has to be told which WIFI signal to repeat, just like a laptop has to be told which WIFI to connect.
Hi, thanx for your reply. the repeater came with setup instructions that aren't very clear to me, as I'm not a network expert and I've done my best to follow them. I guess that I did right because as I told (and I'm not telling it for the sake of argument, but I want to understand) the cellphones are able to connect to the repeater, so there must be an explanation why the pc is not able to connect. the repeater has a WPS button on it but I checked the manual of the router (D-LINK DSL G256DG) and as far as I can tell, unfortunately it doesn't include this option.

kanewolf

Titan
Without being able to see some documentation for what you have, it is going to be difficult to help you. A lot of the web pages for that D-Link are in Italian. You could try googling for G256DG WPS to see if you can find a way to enable it. Once you have the repeater connected, you should disable WPS because it is a security weakness.

Solution