[SOLVED] Problem setting up RAID 0 on ASUS TUF GAMING B460M-PLUS WI-FI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2022
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has this mb and has successfully installed a second M.2 SSD and done RAID 0?

My cpu is an i7-10700F. When I enter UEFI and try to setup RAID 0, the second M.2 SSD I installed shows up as installed, but in the advanced section where you setup RAID there's no option for the second drive at all, nor does it show up in boot list.

I'm thinking this mb may only support RAID 0 via SATA and not M.2? Or, maybe I'm performing BIOS steps incorrectly? Any help is appreciated - thank you!

Solution
Why RAID0 (which isn't truly RAID)? You gain nothing speedwise, and in fact actually kneecap the drives in that regard. In addition, a single drive failure results in loss of the contents of the entire array. There are very very few use cases for RAID in the consumer world.
Feb 6, 2022
look like it manual only said raid on the sata storage section

Thank you. That's what I'm thinkin', too. I guess I'm just in denial after purchasing a second m2 and already installing it, which required removing the gpu. I plan on calling the manufacturer to get the definitive answer, but I was thinking maybe someone on here had this mb and was like, do this and that and there you go, ya know?

Feb 6, 2022
Why RAID0 (which isn't truly RAID)? You gain nothing speedwise, and in fact actually kneecap the drives in that regard. In addition, a single drive failure results in loss of the contents of the entire array. There are very very few use cases for RAID in the consumer world.

I appreciate the response, I guess? But, I asked none of that.

Feb 6, 2022
Considering that 99%+ of the posters here don't even know what RAID means and just want to run it because they read somewhere that it's the best thing since sliced bread the question has to be asked.

Fair enough. I wanted to do RAID 0 for better game load times and to double the storage while maintaining the simplicity of Windows seeing a single drive. It looks like I naively overestimated my current mb/cpu combo. I'm not even sure with this mb if I can even use both m2 slots simultaneously.

Fair enough. I wanted to do RAID 0 for better game load times and to double the storage while maintaining the simplicity of Windows seeing a single drive. It looks like I naively overestimated my current mb/cpu combo. I'm not even sure with this mb if I can even use both m2 slots simultaneously.
At best you will see absolutely no difference in load times and most likely a small increase in load times due to the overhead inherent to RAID. In addition with a 0 level RAID array if a single drive fails or hiccups you lose the entire array. Level 0 affords absolutely NO redundancy. RAID makes a difference with spinning drives but offers nothing but increased complexity and reduced performance with SSD's.

Feb 6, 2022
At best you will see absolutely no difference in load times and most likely a small increase in load times due to the overhead inherent to RAID. In addition with a 0 level RAID array if a single drive fails or hiccups you lose the entire array. Level 0 affords absolutely NO redundancy. RAID makes a difference with spinning drives but offers nothing but increased complexity and reduced performance with SSD's.

Copy that. Yeah, I use my home PC much like a gaming console, so I don't care at all about redundancy. I would still like to double the storage and keep a single drive letter, although I am now confident RAID 0 with two m2s on this mb is a no-go.

Feb 6, 2022
You will see almost zero reduction in game load times by RAID of SSD

In an optimized PCI-E lane situation, I think load times would increase enough to see a difference... And, having the storage all under one drive letter would be a benefit to me, but that's just not going to happen with this mb/cpu combo. Lesson learned.

USAFRet

Titan
In an optimized PCI-E lane situation, I think load times would increase enough to see a difference... And, having the storage all under one drive letter would be a benefit to me, but that's just not going to happen with this mb/cpu combo. Lesson learned.
In benchmark numbers, a PCIe 4.0 drive is "twice as fast" as a PCIe 3.0 drive. Correct?
And potentially 10x faster than a SATA III SSD.

This difference would serve as a substitute for "RAID 0" vs "Not RAID 0".

RAID 0 sounds like it should be a good idea. Benchmark numbers look great.

Actual game performance, not so much.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoRKQy-UO4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9LyNXpsOo

As far as "all under one drive letter"...Steam and the other platforms allow game libraries to live on multiple drives, seamlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.