PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!new craphics card now no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

crayons_green

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
i bought an ati radeon hd3650 and after install i lost my sound .(integrated sound card)
i have tried drivers (from hp tech support lol)to get it back but it does nothing. i go to audio devices and it says i have no audio device.
i also tried to system restore to the day before and even though the graphics went away the sound didnt come back on. a driver issue i dont think so. its like the hardware isnt there.
i have a new sound card on the way but will be a few days atleast and im not even sure if that will make a diffrence.

spec-compaq persario sr16003wm 3g ram ,windows xp,and the radeon hd3650 graphics
sound card specs - intagrated(what it says on the website)realtek hd audio driver

any suggestions pls let me know ty :)

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Well HP Tech support is a joke.
See if the sound is turned on in bios.
uninstall all sound drivers.
then install the newest driver for the sound chip.

ZarkY

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Sounds like ATI HDMI Audio took over default sound.
In Control Panel -> Sound Audio Devices -> set to onboard sound as default.

computermania

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
It sounds as if you have already taken care of this, though I think you could have fixed this without buying a new sound card. Just yesterday I had this same problem when upgrading my 2 year old HP desktop with a crappy OEM graphics card to a new ATI 4650 (I know most people will think I should have gotten a 4670 for only $10 more but 4650 is good enough for me and I'd rather save the $10). Anyway, after installing the 4650 I too lost my sound. After about an hour of checking things and trying to figure what happened I found a good guide on HP's website and it directed me to go to the BIOS and enable the On-board sound. After doing this the sound came back and there was no problem. I think installilng the ATI card did something to change the sound settings and it had to be forced back to the on-board sound in the BIOS. Anyway, hopefully this will help someone else who may be running into the same problem. It is an easy fix but frustrating until you can figure out the problem. Good luck and happy computing! (By the way, I love my 4650. My Vista Experience graphics score went from 3.4 to 5.4 and I can now run Oblivion on High settings, woo hoo!)

G

Totally agree, same exact scenario for me as computermania. I don't want sound through the sapphire radeon HD 4670 512mb gddr3 I just want to keep the same crappy sound that comes through the mini jack to the little crappy speakers built in to the vga only monitor. Device Manager won't work, it won't even see the onboard audio as an option because it is disabled in the bios on load.

On HP Pavilion, restart computer, F1 to enter Bios, then you have to scroll down because the entry you want isn't on the main screen. Set onboard audio to enable, not auto F10 to save and exit, and presto magico, you have sound again, although I do now have sync issues where the sound is a little out of sync with the video, I will chase that one down too though. I think it is because I never went back and unenabled the 4670 sound... I will go check.

Computermania, you are a better man than me, I couldn't find anything helpful on the HP website...

Thank you very much for your post, it helped me fix the problem.

Really big difference between hd4670 and onboard ati 400 though, except for the installation difficulty, I am pleased.

ppward

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hi all. I have just encountered this problem too with my new (self built) PC. I have been building PCs for years but this is my first encounter with HD sound on a graphics card.

I am using WINXP PRO with a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard and a HIS Radeon 4650 HD.

I intend to use the PC for recording (using Cubase and a firewire Tascam FW-1884 DAW) and thus I only want the onboard (Realtek) sound to work so I can play back MP3's etc.

It is so frustrating! I have downloaded all the latest chipset, audio and video drivers and still no joy. I have gone to the BIOS but the Realtek Azalia audio options are either "AUTO" or "DISABLE" so I cant "ENABLE" it. I have tried to disable the ATI function driver in the Device Manager (as suggested) but this does not seem to work either.

PLEASE PLEASE can someone help with this annoying sound issue? I am tempted to buy a cheap sound card but I feel there must be something else I can do?

Many thanks in advance...
Paul.

ppward

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hi again, well I got this sorted. I first reinstalled WinXP Pro. I had been rolling back to a restore point prior to this but I thought I would try a fresh install. In fact this was the only fresh install I had done so this could have well been the problem.

Next I downloaded and installed the latest ATI Catalyst drivers. Then I downloaded and installed the latest Realtek HD audio drivers (the ones in "Red" on the Realtek site (R2.18). This got the HD audio on the HIS Video Card working without any yellow exclamation marks and the little speaker icon on my sytem tray on my desktop, but as I am not using HD or HDMI for that matter I still had no sound from the motherboard.

Next I went to the mainboard website (Gigabyte) where I downloaded and installed the latest Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (the 46.16Mb one).

After installing this I did a restart and that sweet Windows startup music began to resonate in my ears. I had to make NO hardware changes in the Device Manager (as so many problem solving sites had suggested I do), it just worked.

My post had been up on this site for a while without any replies (which prob means no one could help) so I hope the steps above will help someone else fix thier problem quicker that the 4+ weeks it took me.

Good luck to you all....
Paul.

G

thanks for this info guys. this was really frustrating losing the sound after installing my 4670.

e2tgk

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

I have the identical problem with my Radeon 4670 and did everything that you did. However, still no sound. The problem may be this: In Device Manager when I go to Sound>ATI Function driver>Properties>Audio devices>ATI Function driver>Do not use audio feature on this device, and then go to Realtek high definition audio in Sound and Enable "Use audio feature on this device", close it out, and then go back to the ATI driver, the ATI driver is enabled again so that both the ATI and Realtek drivrers are now enabled. Thus, I can't disable the ATI and enable the Realtek because once I enable Realtek, the ATI also gets enabled again. I have re-started the computer after I have disabled the ATI and enabled the Relatek but same thing happens. I have spoken to ATI, MSI, and Realtek but still no sound.

kepatsa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Thanks for the assistance. I just installed Radeon 4670 and... no sound. I changed the Bios and works like a charm.

G

I had the same problem when updating my ATI Radeon 3650. No sound at all after the updated software. I found the simple solution to be far easier than any of this however . . . I just went ito the Realtek HD audio manager on the task bar, then simply clicked the "set default device" tab next to the volume slider and it took me out of HDMI input mode and back to the stereo mini input that was the default setting.

Kristian719

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I've been working on this issue for the past several hours...frustrated as !@#$ Just wanted to say thanks. I just purchased the ATI Radeon HD 4350 to replace my Nvidia card that just died on me and ran into the same problem that so many others seem to be having.

As soon as the 4350 was installed, like magic, my Realtek Audio option vanished from the device manager...no option for it whatsoever so I couldn't even try to perform the many other suggestions that I have read searching forum after forum. Finally, through the direction of computermania and the direction of the following post from Anonymous, all is now in fine working order. Just to reiterate for those of you still struggling with the issue. The instructions below are for those of you trying to bring back your onboard sound after installing an ATI graphics card.

1. Disable the ATI driver from Device Manager under your sound options.

2. Restart your computer and enter BIOS (set up)

3. Search around to find "Onboard Audio" I forget exactly where it is, but easy to find if you look around...I didn't know where it was when I looked either and stumbled upon it quickly.

4. Change the setting from AUTO to ENABLED.

5. Save changes and exit.

Thanks again....happy happy!

mcmolineux

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
What if your bios doesn't have an "Enabled" option. I only have "Auto" and "Disabled". Is there a way to prevent the computer from recognizing the audio on the Radeon at boot? Ie, if I can't enable the onboard sound, can I disable all other sound in bios?

I have a Gigabyte DS3L.

drew1d

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I recently installed the newest Catalyst for my 4670, in an attempt to stop my machine from crashing.

It crashes only when playing Left 4 Dead, or Arma2. I can play LOTRO with the highest settings for days and not have the problem.

After installing the newest Catalyst driver/software suite, It wrecked all my audio settings. I switched the default playback device (right click on the little system tray speaker icon in WIN Vista 64) but still had to specify what device to use in each program. (Skype, LOTRO,...etc)

I connect my Monitor with HDMI cables, but use 1/8" jacks for audio. I think this is my problem with the setup. All windows will tell me is that it's the CCC software that's doing it...but I suspect it's directx and CCC with the use of the HDMI port. I'll be happy for someone to prove me wrong, and fix my machine, because I'm running out of tricks. It never crashed like this with my old crappy MSI nvidia card.

altairdarkace

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
ALRIGHT VISTA USERS!

I had this same exact problems, and Vista wouldn't let me use the conventional ways to fix my sound. After I installed my Radeon HD 4350 graphics card, it went completely silent. There IS sound options for the graphics card, but I've yet to figure it out yet. But for those of you who are like me and just want the darned sound immediately (for comfort XD ) try these steps :

STEP 1 : Shut down your computer after installing the new card and software, this is a must, do this only if you're getting silence only.
STEP 2 : When you turn your computer back on, quickly hit F10 when it shows you the options for start up (System recovery, boot menu, etc) This will put you into your system bios, which gives you so many options. here's a bonus step : RELAX, this isn't going to murder your pc, just take deep breaths.
STEP 3 : go through the tabs (use your right arrow key) until you see a bunch of options like display drivers, etc, idk, big list.
Step 4 : When you get to that tab, scroll down (down arrow key) until you see an option that mentions audio, hit enter when it's highlighted. It should have it's sub selection saying [Auto] This is the reason it's being silent.
STEP 5 : Once you hit enter on the audio option, it will give you three options. Auto, onboard enabled, onboard disabled. Something like that. Go to the onboard enabled one and hit enter.
STEP 6 : When you've made that change, use your right arrow key , highlight the save and exit option, then hit enter

That should give you sound again from your old system if you have your sound built in , maybe even if it's the card. Hopefully this will give you noise again so you can figure out what to do from there. Good luck everyone using Vista, and Happy Holidays :D

Jerry_88

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I had the same problems after installing MSI R4650 on ASUS P5WD2 with Windows XP SP3.

The first message was (4 monthes ago): "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly".

The latest drivers for the soundcard from asus.com didn't help me then.
Reinstalled other drivers from ASUS, from MSI, from Microsoft.
Change BIOS settings; Realtek HD AUdio Manager Settings, Windows Audio Seetings.
Tried disable some devices, played with properties in Device manager.
All that - without positive results..
After that checked the PC with Linux - sound card worked well.
But not under windows :(

Last week I had problems with my HDDD, so decided completely reinstall my Windows.
It was good reason to read all possible information sources again...

So now I have sound.
Main "new" things I did while installing Windows :

1) While installing video card drivers, selected custom options and unchecked "HDMI Audio driver".
2) Downloaded latest Realtek drivers (High Definition Audio Codecs) WDM_R240 from the site:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

After reading Readme.txt I installed the driver and on shutting down windows I alreday heard sounds :)
Thats all.
Good luck.
J:)

basiles

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Folks I had a sound issue with my ati 4670 whereby I go no sound from my tv via the hdmi connection but had sound via the soundcard through my amplifier. It took me months to resolve but the resolution was so simple. from control panel open Sound and you should have 3 entries listed - 1 - AtI HDMI output, 2 - Speakers and 3 - Relatek digital Output. 1 is connected to my TV and 3 to my amplifier. When I want the sound from the TV I set 1 as the default and I have sound from the tv only. WhenI want it via my amplifier I set 3 as the default and I have sound through my amplifier and stero speakers. I hope this helps others as it work great for me now. I am running Vista 32 ultimate

thecelloslave

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

hey basiles: i have an HIS Radeon HD 4670 that im using HDMI out to a Philips TV and i have been failing to find sound for the past 2 months. I have tried everything on this whole thread and nothing is working. including yours. the problem with your solution is my computer isn't letting me choose a default device. it simply doesn't give me that choice. also when i go to the volume mixer it says "No audio device installed." Help????

basiles

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Are you sure you followed my instructions? Go to Control panel, sounds, manage audio devices. It will open a dialog box which lists your audio devices. you need to click on the device you want the sound to come from and the "set default" button should not be greyed out if the selected device is currently NOT your default device. If you have done all this then I'm afraid I cant help as the HDMI connection should carry both the sound and video.

Status
Not open for further replies.