Problem swapping out CPU and RAM.

Aptorian

Prominent
May 10, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem changing my cpu and ram - It is an older system and I'm hoping I can get it running a little better (I have acquired some spares). I would love some help on this...

So here is what I have:
Windows 10
Intel Haswell lga1150 i7-4771
MB: Asus Z87-A
Ram: 16Gig Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10R
Display: Gigabyte GV-R927XoC-2GD
Corsair H100i hydro

What I bought/extras I got:
Intel Intel I7 4790
MB: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 (rev1.1)
Ram: 32Gig Hyper X Beast 1886Mhz DDR3 memory
Display: Rx480
(*BTW, this system seems to run fine/well on its own)

So here is what I thought I would do (with the extras/new thing):
1. Swap out the CPUs
2. Swap out the RAM
3. Swap the display cards
4. *I decided to keep my Asus Z87-A, has more connectors and has a good rating

Problems are as follows:
1. When swapping out CPUs the system doesnt load, RED LED stays lit by CPU, fans spin up, nothing on the display (if I swap back it is 100%)

2. Swapping out the RAM (using my original CPU) - System loads to windows, stays there for a couple of seconds (does the 'new' blue screen) and restarts itself.

*New CPU is seated/connected properly and everything is properly hooked up. Not sure if there is something I'm misiing or that I will need to tweak in the bios to get this working.

Thanks!

Solution
4771 works since BIOS 1207, 4790 needs 1802 version. Put old CPU and check what BIOS version you have, and update if necessary.

Aptorian

Prominent
May 10, 2017

Hi,

These are used parts. They were pretty much a give away (at the price), so I thought I would make use of it. The goal was just to strip what I could to give my system a bit of a boost.

Aptorian

Prominent
May 10, 2017

Thanks! Will give that a try tonight.

Any ideas on the RAM situation?

Aptorian

Prominent
May 10, 2017

Very true, but it is always hard to say bye to a rig you have loved... :p I had debated doing just that for quite a while.

Any ideas on the Ram issue?

Thanks.