Problem: to many floppy disks. Solution: USB Floppy Drive and Win95 on a VM?

Jul 24, 2018
I have 88 3.5'' double sided, high density, 1.44Mb floppy disks. I'm trying to read or format from an USB Floppy Drive in Windows 10 and a message appears saying:

A:\ is not accessible. The disk media is not recognized, it may not be formatted.

I tried in a old PC with Windows XP Professional and 2 things happened:

1- If I try to read them from the internal Floppy Drive, Windows says: Insert a disk in A:\.

2- If I try to read them from the USB Floppy drive, Windows says: The disk media is not recognized, it may not be formatted. Do you want to format it now? - I click Yes and proceed to the window with all the format settings, click Format and Windows says: Windows could not format drive.

I've read that if the floppy disks were formatted on MS-DOS or Win95 it will only work on those systems.

Being that the case, I wanted to install Win95 on the old PC and use it to format all floppy disks. But, the CD drive that old PC has is not working anymore. I can't afford to buy a another. So, the question: if I install a Virtual Machine with Win95 in my Win10 PC will I be able to read and write to the USB Floppy Drive? And put Win95 in some floppies to install that OS in the old PC?

It's a two lines question but I wrote as much info as I could for you to give me other ideas/solutions if possible.

I have no troubles reading/writing/formatting floppies in USB drive connected to Windows 10 computer. I would rather say, your floppies are toast.

You don't need a CD in order to install Windows 95/98/XP, as long as you can transfer installation files to the disk.

Jul 24, 2018

All 88 floppies?... At least one should work.

TRENDING THREADS