Problem transfering files from ASUS HDD to desktop hard drive

Danijel Berkesh

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Basically i've connected my laptop hdd (500gb) to my desktop computer via SATA cable to transfer some files. The laptop HDD shows up in the Devices and Drives section as two partitions. OS - H: drive and recovery - I: drive . The problem is that OS( H: ) is full of directories (windows, program files, users etc..) but they are all empty. Why am i not able to view the files on OS( H: ) partition? My laptop has windows 7 installed while my desktop has windows 8. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Solution
Because your laptop hdd has a section of hidden files and recovery called just that. In the event of any failure, you use that as a last resort to back up your laptop. Most times other computers cannot have access or view them because of security reasons and as well as it's only use is for that laptop exclusively. Good luck!
Change your folder options to show Hidden files and Operating System Protected files. You can literally just search for Folder Options and you should something that's either called Folder Options or File Explorer Options (depending on what build of Win 8 you have). Navigate to the View tab and select to show Hidden files and Operating System Protected files. Then restart and try browsing the drive again

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Because your laptop hdd has a section of hidden files and recovery called just that. In the event of any failure, you use that as a last resort to back up your laptop. Most times other computers cannot have access or view them because of security reasons and as well as it's only use is for that laptop exclusively. Good luck!

Solution

Danijel Berkesh

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Did exactly what you suggested, but with no results, files still remain completely invisible :( I also forgot to mention that the OS partition is showing that it is empty (440gb free of 440gb).

Danijel Berkesh

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

So there really isn't any way to transfer files via this method?