Problem trying to install Windows 7 on a pre-installed Windows 10 HP laptop (dualboot). CD/DVD drive device driver missing.

egio123

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
Hi

I bought a new HP laptop (HP 15-ac117nv)recently with Windows 10 Home preinstalled on it. I also have licences for both Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro. I m not really a fun of Windows 10, dont like the Home version either and since i have a licence for Windows 7 Pro i thought to make a dual boot .
Not really familiar with the new UEFI so i searched for tutorials on the internet but all of them are about those who have windows 7 and want to install windows 10. not the other way around.

Created an unallocated partition and a bootable usb using the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool. Disabled secure boot and enabled csm in UEFI. I booted from usb . The Windows 7 installation starts and the i get an error '' A required CD/DVD driver device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.''

Tried to change usb slots as others mentioned. still nothing. Downloaded the driver file from HP's website on another usb. But when the error appears when i browse to load the drivers i cannot find the second usb.

Anyone have a clue how to fix this? Thanks

Solution
hello, okay so I figured out this issue a day or two ago, you need burn it to USB like you did previously but then when its all set and done copy the files from the USB into a temporary area and re format the flash drive as FAT32 then move all the files back exactly as they were it should install properly. my current issue is there's missing drivers for windows 7 and I don't know how to go about fixing this yet im not sure if you will have the same issues but my PC originally came with windows 8.1 so if yours came with 10 its probably safe to assume you'll need to hunt down drivers.

egio123

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

Yes Windows 7 installation starts normally. I select install then i get the error mentioned above.
Tried the usb on a different laptop with windows 7 on it and works just fine. So nothing to do with the usb

chippos339

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
hello, okay so I figured out this issue a day or two ago, you need burn it to USB like you did previously but then when its all set and done copy the files from the USB into a temporary area and re format the flash drive as FAT32 then move all the files back exactly as they were it should install properly. my current issue is there's missing drivers for windows 7 and I don't know how to go about fixing this yet im not sure if you will have the same issues but my PC originally came with windows 8.1 so if yours came with 10 its probably safe to assume you'll need to hunt down drivers.

Solution