Problem Uninstalling/Reinstalling Microsoft Office 2010

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Hey everyone.

Having some trouble with MS Office 2010 Home and Business for Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. All of a sudden, none of the Word/Excel/PowerPoint documents would open, and instead a prompt would pop up saying "preparing to install" and it would hang on that until I killed it in task manager. I tried doing a repair of Office, but it kept hanging on that for hours. I tried an uninstall, and same story. I misplaced the install DVD, so I can run the repair from the disk, so I ended up buying another copy that was a digital download. When I tried to run it, it launches the installer, but promptly gives an error message saying it can't install it. I have done this before, and the installer was able to find the current version, and I have the option of uninstalling the current version or exiting the installer.

I did some more troubleshooting, and got into the more advanced options for removing the current version. I tried the Microsoft FixIt, and after it ran the diagnostics, it found that the installer file for the original was corrupted. I told it to do the repair, but that didn't work. I followed the advice of some online users and tried disabling (stopping) AVG antivirus to no effect.

So I got into more advanced options and activated the Administrator account to get into the Admin-level functions. I went through and deleted the "Installer" (.msc) files for Office 2010 and that didn't work either.

So now all I get is a message saying the file is corrupted and to insert the original CD installer disk. I was able to install and old copy of Office Pro Plus 2007 so I can use Office in the meantime.

I tried a system restore, and it found the same corrupted files, but the restore was unsuccessful.

So, my question is has anyone ever encountered this? I've done a lot of looking online for a solution, but all of what I have tried, aside from messing with the registry and some other things and nothing has worked. I still keep getting the corruption message followed by the insert CD/DVD media. I spent 3 hours on it so far.

Any help is appreciated!

Dashing_star

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
I encountered the issue but uninstall and reinstall again solved my issue.. sometime may be windows have problem with this.. installing fresh copy may solve this issue.. before that try to run chkdsk in command prompt whether it shows any bad sectors in HDD.. also run sfc /scannow..
Regards

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

Thanks for the reply. A system recovery is the last thing I want to do. I found this fix: http://www.sevenforums.com/software/239704-cannot-uninstall-office-2010-a.html, tried all 3 steps (clean boot, Microsoft FixIt, uninstall/repair from the Control Panel). I attempted step 4, but didn't want to monkey with the Registry as I am not doing this on my own PC. After I ran the Microsoft FixIt, I started getting the corrupted files message.

Would running CCcleaner work? I've never tried removing programs with it.

Any other help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again!

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
So here's the update. I attempted the uninstall again, this time I came in with Revo Uninstaller and Ccleaner to see if that works. It didn't. Revo couldn't find it in the uninstall programs list so I ran Ccleaner to see if that would work. I tried the "uninstall" function, but it gave me the same corrupted file nonsense, so I used the "delete" feature to remove the installer file. Once I got the installer file out, I ran Microsoft's Fixit. It worked this time and I was able to remove Office. Once I felt good that it was gone after running Ccleaner I ran the installer again. It went well until it got to the end when the installer was checking for updates. It hung for about 20 minutes until I killed it. After that, back to the same old "cant uninstall" nonsense. So back to square 1. Ugh. So anyways, thanks for the suggestions. If anyone else has a suggestion please let me know!

Thanks