Question Problem updating chipset drivers for 5800X3D on my B550-Gaming motherboard

pkrahn

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2014
I've had some issues with BSOD's, mostly when I try to use my VR gear. The only crash issue referenced I can see is "volmgr". Before I updated to Windows 11 and replaced my CPU with this new one, I had whea uncorrectible errors, now those are gone although the blue screens disappear too quickly normally to take note. But when I have seen them, they're not whea.

I haven't updated the chipset drivers though, because while the new cpu worked great for a day, once I updated it, I started crashing again. Reinstalling windows without the drivers didn't seem to help. So I looked at the AMD page and saw this:

I had read some things after the failed attempt at updating the drivers about StoreMI not working for some systems, and a full reinstall of windows was necessary. I see this now though:

AMD StoreMI installation fails on some systems where:
  • Dual operating system (OS) is configured. In such scenarios, AMD StoreMI is only supported on the primary OS.
  • B550 systems due to page file being set to non-boot drive by default. In such a case, enable paging for the boot drive only and try installing again.
Since that's my motherboard, minus the gaming part of the title, I checked and my paging file is set for the ssd boot drive. Maybe it wasn't before the reinstall? But I'm not noticing that it's set elsewhere by default. So unless it was set differently in Windows 10, then this might not apply to me.

However I really do want to update this driver, as it might be a reason I'm not able to run any of my VR projects at the moment. Any advice?

Here's my specs:

Windows 11
32 gigs RAM
CPU - Ryzen 5800X3D
GPU - GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X
Motherboard - ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
Power - 750W

AMD StoreMI installation fails on some systems where:
  • Dual operating system (OS) is configured. In such scenarios, AMD StoreMI is only supported on the primary OS.
  • B550 systems due to page file being set to non-boot drive by default. In such a case, enable paging for the boot drive only and try installing again.
Have you installed StoreMI? DO NOT attempt to "update" a StoreMI driver unless you know for a certainty you have.

StoreMI is a software-based method for providing near-SSD performance levels for an HDD based storage using a single, small, SSD. If you have installed it's better to uninstall it and use actual SSD's for all drives instead. The only problem is the difficulty of uninstalling it since files and folders are actually split up between different drives in a manner similar to some RAID arrays.

Last edited:

pkrahn

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2014
i haven't installed it again since reinstalling windows. so this isn't for ssd's? the amd chipset driver for this cpu needs StoreMI doesn't it? i only have whatever cpu driver that windows gave me.

Have you installed StoreMI? DO NOT attempt to "update" a StoreMI driver unless you know for a certainty you have.

StoreMI is a software-based method for providing near-SSD performance levels for an HDD based storage using a single, small, SSD. If you have installed it's better to uninstall it and use actual SSD's for all drives instead. The only problem is the difficulty of uninstalling it since files and folders are actually split up between different drives in a manner similar to some RAID arrays.

pkrahn

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2014
also, i see that my crashes in the past day are being triggered seemingly by my valve index being turned on. or as soon as i plug it into the gpu, BSOD. and reboot before i can read anything. two of the three display ports did this, the first one though doesn't seem to work with the index.

here's what the crash report shows me, it means nothing to me though...

Log Name: System
Source: volmgr
Date: 12/27/2022 9:52:08 PM
Event ID: 161
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: PK
Description:
Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="volmgr" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49156">161</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-12-28T05:52:08.9606531Z" />
<EventRecordID>1243</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="320" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>PK</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\HarddiskVolume3</Data>
<Binary>000000000100000000000000A10004C049000400010000C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

i haven't installed it again since reinstalling windows. so this isn't for ssd's? the amd chipset driver for this cpu needs StoreMI doesn't it? i only have whatever cpu driver that windows gave me.
You should definitely install the AMD chipset driver but StoreMI isn't needed for it or installed with it, nor is is required for SSD's. Avoid StoreMI entirely unless you have solid knowledge of it's benefits and limitations as it's hard to remove and very difficult to manage once installed.

You may have some Windows corruption. A way to fix at least some of it is to run "SFC/scannow" from a command prompt with admin rights. It will find and fix corrupt or missing system files.

pkrahn

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2014
okay so... when looking up my cpu driver on amd's site, i get the above link, but now i'm seeing that chipset drivers are separate? how many drivers does a cpu need?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

that's my chipset, according to cpu-z. but there's three options other that StoreMI on that page. also, do i need to first delete whatever chipset drivers are on my machine now?

You should definitely install the AMD chipset driver but StoreMI isn't needed for it or installed with it, nor is is required for SSD's. Avoid StoreMI entirely unless you have solid knowledge of it's benefits and limitations as it's hard to remove and very difficult to manage once installed.

You may have some Windows corruption. A way to fix at least some of it is to run "SFC/scannow" from a command prompt with admin rights. It will find and fix corrupt or missing system files.

okay so... when looking up my cpu driver on amd's site, i get the above link, but now i'm seeing that chipset drivers are separate? how many drivers does a cpu need?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

that's my chipset, according to cpu-z. but there's three options other that StoreMI on that page. also, do i need to first delete whatever chipset drivers are on my machine now?
It's what's called a unified driver installation routine...it's one installer that identifies and installs all the drivers needed by the motherboard chipset.

Pick only the chipset driver package, ignore StoreMI and the RAID drivers.

If you've never installed a chipset driver there's nothing to uninstall first. Even if you had previously installed a chipset driver the installer will simply install newer and more correct ones after removing anything outdated first.