Problem upgrading from 32 bit XP to 64 bit W7

dncb777

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Trying to upgrade from 32 bit XP Pro to 64 bit Windows 7 Pro

The ONLY reason: I need more memory than 32 bit XP can recognize - 8 or 16gigs for photo scanning and Photoshop. The current 4 can't handle it.

1) I have a supposedly legitimate downloaded copy (with key) of 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 Pro on separate disks.
2) The disks' files are visible on my W7 laptop in the DVD drives folder and will run the install program on start-up.
3)They are not visible on the XP desktop machine of the same disk and will not run on start-up. The disks were created on the XP machine from downloaded ISO files.
4) Motherboard: Asus P7P55 LX, Processor: Intel Core i3 540@3.07GHZ. These should both work with 64 bit according to my research. True?

What's up? OR... is there another approach for adding more memory WITHOUT upgrading? (Motherboard can support 16gigs)
Would really appreciate some help. I'm at the end of my knowledge.
Note: would rather not go to Windows 8 to keep all computers running the same thing (and I'm lost on 8 due to unfamiliarity)

USAFRet

Titan

IMHO, the legitimacy of that site and sales is open for debate.
If it is significantly cheaper than the major resellers (Amazon/Newegg/TigerDirect/Microsoft), it may well not be legitimate.

dncb777

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
That is an issue I haven't gotten to yet. It will run on my Win 7 machine and not on the XP one on start-up. So it is a platform problem, not a software problem, yes?
Any help with that problem will be appreciated.

dncb777

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
If it were not a bootable disk my Windows 7 machine would not boot to it on start-up would it?

And are you suggesting uninstalling XP prior to starting with the DVD is any different from booting from the DVD with XP in tact when the bios is set to look at the DVD first?

yeah you should. that way the whole thing is fresh. then set it to look at the dvd first and then follow instructions.

dncb777

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014

Hmmmm... not sure why that is. I've never had a problem booting to a DVD disk I know is bootable and THEN choosing what to do: upgrade, custom/clean install, etc.
Also, do you have any idea why the files on the disk would not appear in the disk's folder on the XP machine and DO appear on my W7 laptop? Something is preventing their visibility - and it is not the settings "hide protected operating system files."
An uninstall would leave me without an operating system since XP is no longer supported and my XP disk is SP1 - so I'd have an ancient and unstable operating system if what your suggesting is not the problem. Yes?

dncb777

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014

I know it boots from the original XP disk. Don't have a Linux Live CD (could make on for the experiment) and don't know what DBAN is.

USAFRet

Titan

Yeah, try to make a Linux CD, just to verify the boot process.

try the upgrade or clean install first. are the main folders their or what.

dncb777

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014

Will do -- after Pizza. Back in a while. Thanx.

welcome get me a slice.

dncb777

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014

Replied in the wrong place. Will try Linux after Pizza. Thanks

dncb777

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014

I've booted from backup software program disks like True Image and others no prob. on that machine. OK download done. Gonna burn a disk and be back in a few.

XP box would not boot into Ubuntu ISO from http://www.ubuntu.com/download and was burned and verified by the built in burning program in Windows 7.
I tried my original Windows Disk and it DOES boot into that

I'm officially lost. If it is remotely relevant: I notice that when attempting to access and inspect the disk's contents in the root of the drive the DVD drive (F in my case) is labeled "CD drive(F)." Yet without the disk in the drive it is labeled with: "DVD-Ram Drive (F)"
Also, my W7 machine boots into the same Linux disk fine .

CustomPc

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Have you tried booting from a usb? Like maybe trying a universal booter and change the priority of booting from hard disk to USB so when it starts it should automatically detect the installation on your usb? That's what I did when I downloaded Kali-Linux and some other stuff, I can guide you through it if you need, you could give it a shot

webmasterspride

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014

The linux cd is what you should get.