Question Problem upgrading Office 2019 on Windows 10 ?

RickVS

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
I purchased a lifetime Office Professional 2021 license and received the product key. I downloaded the Setup exe and ran it. I figured it would automatically upgrade my 2019 Office. It didn't. So I uninstalled both the 2019 and 2021 versions, rebooted, then installed again the 2021 setup exe. When I go into Excel it says that I'm still using 2019. How can this be given that I uninstalled it? And why can't I seem to access 2021? When I scroll through the installed apps neither of these appear. Only an Office 365 logo that launches something to do with Office 365. Nothing is making any sense here. Please assist. Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Stack Social. It was an article by CNET. It's legit. The sale is good for another couple of days. Here is the C|NET article:
Massive Microsoft Office Deal: Save 91% on a Lifetime License Today - CNET
You have been sold a grey market, likely OEM, license. As you can see, this product cost much more than what you paid.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...2021/cfq7ttc0hhj9?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The only exception that I have seen, from a truly legit source, in that price range was via the Home Use Program. The site you used is certainly not offering that.

From where did you download the installation media?

RickVS

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
Oh. That's cool. Also, I'm better understanding of how this all works. I'm used to the old days when I would install Office from a CD with a product key. Now I see that if I click on my account in Office, I actually have a license for both 2019 and 2021 that I can switch between. Interesting.

RickVS

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
if you think that your key is valid, then you can use microsoft support live chat, they can help you with your legit licence
Thanks. So I clicked on that and in the end it just takes me to my Godaddy Outlook 365 account with Godaddy support chat which doesn't have anything to do with Office. That would be great if there really was a true MSFT chat support option. EDIT: okay, again, just getting used to this MSFT license deal. So I need to sign in with a different email address I guess. One email is associated with 365 the other with Office.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Key phrase from the sub linked question:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rd-party/ec94e64e-408f-4000-b04b-667b2208a3d3

"Hi Johnathan

The cost price of an OEM licence is not hugely different to a full retail licence (maybe $20 - $30 cheaper), of you are seeing a price that is much cheaper than that, then you should be very suspicious . . ."

$40 vs $300+ == suspicious.

Sure you can buy an OEM license.
But if you're buying it from somewhere other than MS, the license agreement states that it must be accompanied by the original hardware.

Reactions: cAllen