Problem upon restart!

Matty8787

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
So I have an issue that is really bugging me.

I have recently installed a new GPU but this happened previous to that also so don't think it is the issue.

When I restart or turn on the PC sometimes after the windows logo I am left with a black screen.. no mouse cursor or anything. I can log in blind cause I hear things starting up but nothing shows at all.

I have tried attaching a second monitor and that one shows a black screen too but it does have a cursor.

Other times the second monitor displays my desktop and I have to do the windows key down and p trick to get it to go to my main monitor.

I don't tend to have dual monitors I use the second as a workaround to my issue.

What could it be? As it is when it works I am weary about restarting or turning off the PC.

Cheers for any help.

Solution

ForeverMirin

Commendable
May 24, 2016

Do you use Windows 10? That is a known problem with windows 10. Also can you get into the bios?

Matty8787

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

Yeah I do use Windows 10 and I have heard of this before.

I can get into the BIOS no problems what so ever, I have been told it may be to do with uefi boot mode but I dunno.

ForeverMirin

Commendable
May 24, 2016

try reinstalling your OS.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/10457-fix-windows-10-booting-black-screen.html

Solution

Matty8787

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

Not in a rush to reinstall windows! But I will definately give a few of these solutions a go.

Cheers for the link.

ForeverMirin

Commendable
May 24, 2016

Good luck! try that link first. if it doesn't work and you really can't do anything than resetting windows, well then you have to do it I guess ^_^