Problem using Norton Ghost with Inspiron 8600

Isn't there some easy way that I can create an image backup file to
use for my Inspiron 8600 (via Norton Ghost) when my laptop only
has interchangable 3.5 and CD/RW drives? In other words, I can't
have the use of BOTH the CD/RW drive (where the image file
would have to reside) and the 3.5 boot floopy drive at the same time.

That is, unless there's a way to create a boot CD AND have a second
CD for the image file. Is this possible? Need directions.
THANKS!

Norton Ghost 2003 makes bootable CDs.

Ted Zieglar

"Hockey Buff" <hockeybuff@excite.com> wrote in message

> Isn't there some easy way that I can create an image backup file to
> use for my Inspiron 8600 (via Norton Ghost) when my laptop only
> has interchangable 3.5 and CD/RW drives? In other words, I can't
> have the use of BOTH the CD/RW drive (where the image file
> would have to reside) and the 3.5 boot floopy drive at the same time.
>
> That is, unless there's a way to create a boot CD AND have a second
> CD for the image file. Is this possible? Need directions.
> THANKS!

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:40:29 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka Rocky"
<teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>Norton Ghost 2003 makes bootable CDs.
>
>Ted Zieglar
>
>"Hockey Buff" <hockeybuff@excite.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Isn't there some easy way that I can create an image backup file to
>> use for my Inspiron 8600 (via Norton Ghost) when my laptop only
>> has interchangable 3.5 and CD/RW drives? In other words, I can't
>> have the use of BOTH the CD/RW drive (where the image file
>> would have to reside) and the 3.5 boot floopy drive at the same time.
>>
>> That is, unless there's a way to create a boot CD AND have a second
>> CD for the image file. Is this possible? Need directions.
>> THANKS!

Ah ha. Since I'm stuck with Ghost 2002, maybe that's the reason.
However, when I run the tutorial it says "Although you already have
and could use a bootable CD, we'll create a bootable floopy." No
mention is may ANYWHERE in the tutorial of how the bootable CD is
created. Would it work if I simply copied the files from the floopy
onto a CD or would that necessitate also changing the registry?

Running out of ideas. Thanks.

I don't mean to blow you off, but the only version of Ghost I have ever used
is 2003.You should contact Symantec technical support - they are in the best
position to help you.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to Ghost 2003. Don't even think of paying
full price. Get it as part of Norton SystemWorks Professional, which is
heavily discounted. The version of Ghost in SystemWorks Pro 2003 and 2004 is
identical: Both include Ghost 2003. There is a brand new version of Ghost
about to be released, but it will be many months before it gets sold at a
discount.

> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:40:29 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka Rocky"
> <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Norton Ghost 2003 makes bootable CDs.
> >
> >Ted Zieglar
> >
> >"Hockey Buff" <hockeybuff@excite.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> Isn't there some easy way that I can create an image backup file to
> >> use for my Inspiron 8600 (via Norton Ghost) when my laptop only
> >> has interchangable 3.5 and CD/RW drives? In other words, I can't
> >> have the use of BOTH the CD/RW drive (where the image file
> >> would have to reside) and the 3.5 boot floopy drive at the same time.
> >>
> >> That is, unless there's a way to create a boot CD AND have a second
> >> CD for the image file. Is this possible? Need directions.
> >> THANKS!
>

> Ah ha. Since I'm stuck with Ghost 2002, maybe that's the reason.
> However, when I run the tutorial it says "Although you already have
> and could use a bootable CD, we'll create a bootable floopy." No
> mention is may ANYWHERE in the tutorial of how the bootable CD is
> created. Would it work if I simply copied the files from the floopy
> onto a CD or would that necessitate also changing the registry?
>
> Running out of ideas. Thanks.

Thanks, nevertheless, for pitching in. After all is said and
done, I really believe I'm barking up the wrong tree. The
ONLY way to CREATE a bootable CD using Norton Ghost
(even with 2003) is with the aid of a floppy in drive A.

I do happen to have System Works (non-professional)
2004 which does have the later version of Ghost. But
it also asks for me to identify the floopy drive. And,
as before, the only choices that I'm given are either A or B.
(B, of course, is non-existent.)

Considering the fact that newer computers seldom
include floppy drives any more, I'm sure there
must be a way to create a bootable CD without even
involving the A drive. And I will follow your suggestion
on contacting Symantic.

Meanwhile, one useful link is http://bootdisk.com/nero.htm
having what sounds like at least one possible workaround.
The only part I'm not sure about is creating an image file
on the C drive (solution #3).

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:37:34 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka Rocky"
<teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>I don't mean to blow you off, but the only version of Ghost I have ever used
>is 2003.You should contact Symantec technical support - they are in the best
>position to help you.
>
>Alternatively, you could upgrade to Ghost 2003. Don't even think of paying
>full price. Get it as part of Norton SystemWorks Professional, which is
>heavily discounted. The version of Ghost in SystemWorks Pro 2003 and 2004 is
>identical: Both include Ghost 2003. There is a brand new version of Ghost
>about to be released, but it will be many months before it gets sold at a
>discount.
>
>Ted Zieglar
>
>"Hockey Buff" <hockeybuff@excite.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:40:29 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka Rocky"
>> <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Norton Ghost 2003 makes bootable CDs.
>> >
>> >Ted Zieglar
>> >
>> >"Hockey Buff" <hockeybuff@excite.com> wrote in message

>> Ah ha. Since I'm stuck with Ghost 2002, maybe that's the reason.
>> However, when I run the tutorial it says "Although you already have
>> and could use a bootable CD, we'll create a bootable floopy." No
>> mention is may ANYWHERE in the tutorial of how the bootable CD is
>> created. Would it work if I simply copied the files from the floopy
>> onto a CD or would that necessitate also changing the registry?
>>
>> Running out of ideas. Thanks.

"The ONLY way to CREATE a bootable CD using Norton Ghost (even with 2003) is
with the aid of a floppy in drive A."

Sorry, that's incorrect. I make bootable CDs and DVDs all the time, without
ever needing a floppy disk.