problem w/PC1330 on a 100MHZ bus?

Hi All:

I just bought a new 128MB PC133 stick. I have one old stick of PC100 128MB
in my system. The problem is that the new 128MB PC133 is only registering
as 64MB. Tried the new one in the system solo, and it still registers as
64MB. I first thought is was a problem with the stick, but I returned it,
got another, same problem. So I must be doing something obviously wrong.
Does PC133 not work properly on a 100 MHZ bus?

here's my system:

mainboard is an old Abit BX6 rev.2, intel 440bx chipset, FSB running at
100MHZ. I've tried the CAS at both 3 and 2.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance, Tim

tritty wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I just bought a new 128MB PC133 stick. I have one old stick of PC100 128MB
> in my system. The problem is that the new 128MB PC133 is only registering
> as 64MB. Tried the new one in the system solo, and it still registers as
> 64MB. I first thought is was a problem with the stick, but I returned it,
> got another, same problem. So I must be doing something obviously wrong.
> Does PC133 not work properly on a 100 MHZ bus?
>
> here's my system:
>
> mainboard is an old Abit BX6 rev.2, intel 440bx chipset, FSB running at
> 100MHZ. I've tried the CAS at both 3 and 2.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?
>
> Thanks in advance, Tim

..

How many chips are on the new 128MB DIMM?

The 440BX chipset supports memory chip densities up to 128Mbit. For this
motherboard, you can use 128MB DIMMs that have either eight 16Mx8(128Mbits) or
sixteen 8Mx8(64Mbits) chips--nine or eighteen chips on ECC DIMMs. Some of the
128MB DIMMs being sold now, use four 16Mx16(256Mbits) chips. Your board will
not support a 128MB DIMM with only four chips.

This board will also support 256MB DIMMs, but they must have sixteen
16Mx8(128Mbits) chips--or eighteen 16Mx8 chips on ECC DIMMs.

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:33:04 GMT, "steven67@"
<steven67@REMOVE_THISmindspring.com> wrote:

>tritty wrote:
>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I just bought a new 128MB PC133 stick. I have one old stick of PC100 128MB
>> in my system. The problem is that the new 128MB PC133 is only registering
>> as 64MB. Tried the new one in the system solo, and it still registers as
>> 64MB. I first thought is was a problem with the stick, but I returned it,
>> got another, same problem. So I must be doing something obviously wrong.
>> Does PC133 not work properly on a 100 MHZ bus?
>>
>> here's my system:
>>
>> mainboard is an old Abit BX6 rev.2, intel 440bx chipset, FSB running at
>> 100MHZ. I've tried the CAS at both 3 and 2.
>>
>> Does anyone have a solution?
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Tim
>
>.
>

>How many chips are on the new 128MB DIMM?
>
>The 440BX chipset supports memory chip densities up to 128Mbit. For this
>motherboard, you can use 128MB DIMMs that have either eight 16Mx8(128Mbits) or
>sixteen 8Mx8(64Mbits) chips--nine or eighteen chips on ECC DIMMs. Some of the
>128MB DIMMs being sold now, use four 16Mx16(256Mbits) chips. Your board will
>not support a 128MB DIMM with only four chips.
>
>This board will also support 256MB DIMMs, but they must have sixteen
>16Mx8(128Mbits) chips--or eighteen 16Mx8 chips on ECC DIMMs.

Exactly correct, and well said.

You are now the official responder for 440BX memory FAQs. Congrats!

/daytripper (officially retired ;-)