Question Problem when installing GPU drivers on Dell Inspiron 15 3576 ?

Jul 8, 2023
I am writing to seek assistance regarding a problem I encountered while attempting to install the AMD Radeon 520 graphics drivers on my Dell Inspiron 15 3576 laptop running Windows 10.

Upon installing the graphics drivers, my system freezes, and I am left with a black screen. Unfortunately, this issue has prevented me from utilizing the full capabilities of my AMD Radeon 520 graphics card.

Laptop Model: Dell Inspiron 15 3576
Operating System: Windows 10
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 520

Steps I have taken:
  • Downloaded the latest AMD Radeon 520 graphics drivers from the official Dell website.
  • Executed the driver installation file.
  • The installation process was initiated successfully but ultimately caused my system to freeze.
  • I was left with a black screen, forcing me to restart my laptop manually.

The Radeon 520 is amazingly based on GCN, which has been abandoned by AMD and has limited Win10 support. Try the AMD drivers as posted above by COLGeek, or there is a Beta driver kicking around that I used successfully to get an old 7870 running. I have an old Dell AIO desktop, I had to completely disable the Radeon graphics due to all of this. Similar symptoms. Here's hoping you are successful where I was not.

Jul 8, 2023
The Radeon 520 is amazingly based on GCN, which has been abandoned by AMD and has limited Win10 support. Try the AMD drivers as posted above by COLGeek, or there is a Beta driver kicking around that I used successfully to get an old 7870 running. I have an old Dell AIO desktop, I had to completely disable the Radeon graphics due to all of this. Similar symptoms. Here's hoping you are successful where I was not.
Can you provide me with more information about this Beta version?

For OEM branded Laptops and all-in-one PCs, you should NEVER download drivers from an external link, be it official or not, unless the manufacturer has mentioned this specifically..

For Laptops, It's HIGHLY recommended to install the drivers/firmware/BIOS directly from the Laptop's official support page.

After installing the display card driver through updates, the device freezes and becomes unresponsive

First, try to remove all the previous installed drivers. Use the DDU tool if need be. Try doing a clean reinstall of the vga drivers.

Let Dell "Support Assist" find the correct drivers for you. Click on "Check for Updates" here in this link. There is also a Manual search option.

Jul 8, 2023
For OEM branded Laptops and all-in-one PCs, you should NEVER download drivers from an external link, be it official or not, unless the manufacturer has mentioned this specifically..

For Laptops, It's HIGHLY recommended to install the drivers/firmware/BIOS directly from the Laptop's official support page.

First, try to remove all the previous installed drivers. Use the DDU tool if need be. Try doing a clean reinstall of the vga drivers.

Let Dell "Support Assist" find the correct drivers for you. Click on "Check for Updates" here in this link. There is also a Manual search option.

I installed a new Windows 10, and immediately after booting, I installed the display card driver that I downloaded from the official website, but unfortunately, the same problem occurred, the laptop freezes and does not respond to anything.

I installed a new Windows 10, and immediately after booting, I installed the display card driver that I downloaded from the official website, but unfortunately, the same problem occurred, the laptop freezes and does not respond to anything.

Then there seems to be some issue with your Laptop's hardware or it's settings.

If possible try to reset the BIOS values to factory default settings. Resetting all the Laptop's BIOS settings may sometimes help, but if the same issue persists, then most likely there is some problem with your Laptop.

I can't physically examine the Laptop online, else, I would have tried to diagnose this a bit more. From here it's quite hard to pinpoint where the issue might be.

Last edited:
Reactions: youcef4787
Jul 8, 2023

If possible try to reset the BIOS values to factory default settings. Resetting all the Laptop's BIOS settings may sometimes help, but if the same issue persists, then most likely there is some problem with your Laptop.

I can't physically examine the Laptop online, else, I would have tried to diagnose this a bit more. From here it's quite hard to pinpoint where the issue might be.
Thanks for your help. Yes, it seems that the problem is with the laptop. Despite this, I will try Windows 8.1 and tell you the result.

Jul 8, 2023

After installing Windows 8.1, the display card functioned seamlessly. However, a setback arose when it became apparent that there was no Intel driver available specifically for Windows 8.1. This situation is quite perplexing, and I would greatly appreciate it if someone could kindly provide an explanation for this issue.

So now the card and display are both working under Windows 8.1 OS ? Strangely enough, DELL's official support does not list Windows 8.1 compatible drivers, just Windows 10 OS. But the OS should work nonetheless.

There are Intel drivers for your Laptop model as well. Check the same download page manually. But which specific INTEL driver you want to install ? Iris Plus, Bluetooth, Serial I/O, or Wi-Fi ?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023
So now the card and display are both working under Windows 8.1 OS ? Strangely enough, DELL's official support does not list Windows 8.1 compatible drivers, just Windows 10 OS, or at least that what I found. But the OS should work nonetheless.

There are Intel drivers for your Laptop model as well. Check the same download page manually. But which specific INTEL driver you want to install ? Iris Plus, Bluetooth, Serial I/O, or Wi-Fi ?
need intel vga card driver

There is a way that might work but up to you. I have used it many many times with laptops that going from an old OS to a modern OS that fights drivers. While you have Windows 8.1 installed go to your Windows-system 32 folder. With a external usb drive copy the system 32 folder onto thumb drive or hard drive. Like I said up to you, reinstall windows 10 " having a tester hard drive laying around to test this all out and if needed keep your 8.1 l out of machine ,or just use it.

Here is where the magic works after windows 10 is installed go to device manager and go to Display adapters and click update drivers. Click Browse my computer for drivers. Point the search to that system 32 folder you saved earlier, that is where windows keeps all your installed drivers and the .dll files as well. If all goes nicely it will install the card with out a fuss, the working 8.1 driver onto windows 10. I would also keep it off line so windows updates won't throw in bad drivers again. Go back on line when your all done.

Yes it's the long way of doing it but you will need to see on your system if it works for you or not. I have had 100% success when I have had to out smart old hardware with a new OS with drivers.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS