Problem when trying to copy, move, or delete files from hard drive to USB flash drive: "Error 8009005: Bad Data"

jabbadahut

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
I am having trouble copying, moving or deleting files from a folder on my D:\ drive (which is where I have my personal data, as well as my 'Users' folder). I had downloaded a few 3rd party programs that I was going to install after I reinstalled the 64-bit version of Windows 10 as I couldn't open the start menu for some reason. I had accidentally copied them to a folder called WindowsApps instead of to my USB flash drive, so I tried to move them there. However, I keep getting the following error:

"An unexpected error is keeping you from copying (NOTE - this word is replaced depending on what action I am doing with those files) the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error: 0x8009005: Bad Data"

I searched for this error on Google, but I haven't seen anything related to my problem. Is tthe affected folder protected? I wouldn't think it is, otherwise why am I able to copy files there in the first place? I tried getting ownership of the folder, but I keep getting a non-specific "Bad Data" error.

How can I resolve this issue? The only solution I see is to re-install Windows 10, as that was my original intention due to a problem opening the Start Menu. Well, the problem with that is resolved, so I don't see a need. I can't reset the OS, because I have the 'Users' folder on my D:\ drive. (I put them there to avoid wearing out the SSD drive where the OS is installed.)

Solution
How can I resolve this issue? The only solution I see is to re-install Windows 10, as that was my original intention due to a problem opening the Start Menu. Well, the problem with that is resolved, so I don't see a need. I can't reset the OS, because I have the 'Users' folder on my D:\ drive. (I put them there to avoid wearing out the SSD drive where the OS is installed.)

Sorry, but that is a bad, unneeded, move.

1. Your SSD will NOT wea2 out anytime this decade. Or probably next decade.
2. Don't move your /User/ folder. Bad things will happen
http://www.zdnet.com/dont-move-your-windows-user-profiles-folder-to-another-drive-7000022142/

USAFRet

Titan

Sorry, but that is a bad, unneeded, move.

1. Your SSD will NOT wea2 out anytime this decade. Or probably next decade.
2. Don't move your /User/ folder. Bad things will happen
http://www.zdnet.com/dont-move-your-windows-user-profiles-folder-to-another-drive-7000022142/

Solution

jabbadahut

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
Thanks for the information about the SSD drive. Looks like I'll need to reinstall. As to your 2nd post, yeah I have already downloaded & copied them to the USB flash drive. I was trying to get rid of the original copies in that affected folder.

TRENDING THREADS