[SOLVED] Problem while installing additional RAM

May 29, 2021
I used the crucial system scanner to find out which ram is compatible with my PC.
Here is the scanner result :
https://www.crucial.com/scanview/1E3CCB1F31D926C3
It says that my Max Unbuffered DDR3 SDRAM is 64 GB, and recommended me
"Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3L-1600 UDIMM" as the potential upgrade, which I bought and tried to install.
Just adding those two on top of the 2x 4GB I had resulted in my PC trying to boot and shutting down, then automatically repeating the process.
I then tried booting it with only the 2x8GB rams installed, and the same phenomenon occured.
When I've only put 1 x 8GB of the new ram on the computer, the PC didn't turn off automatically, but nothing appeared on the screen while the power was kept on.

Do I have to conclude that the new rams I bought are incompatible with my PC and the crucial system scanner was faulty? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Thank you in advance~

Last edited:
Solution
I used the crucial system scanner to find out which ram is compatible with my PC.
It says that my Max Unbuffered DDR3 SDRAM is 64 MB, and recommended me
"Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3L-1600 UDIMM" as the potential upgrade, which I bought and tried to install.
Just adding those two on top of the 2x 4GB I had resulted in my PC trying to boot and shutting down, then automatically repeating the process.
I then tried booting it with only the 2x8GB rams installed, and the same phenomenon occured.
When I've only put 1 x 8GB of the new ram on the computer, the PC didn't turn off automatically, but nothing appeared on the screen while the...
It says that my Max Unbuffered DDR3 SDRAM is 64 MB, and recommended me
When I've only put 1 x 8GB of the new ram on the computer, the PC didn't turn off automatically, but nothing appeared on the screen while the power was kept on.

Do I have to conclude that the new rams I bought are incompatible with my PC and the crucial system scanner was faulty? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Thank you in advance~
Have you checked DDR voltage in the bios to ensure you’re using the correct voltage? The new sticks are low voltage 1.35. Are the old sticks regular DDR3 at 1.5? If so they can’t be used together.

Solution
May 29, 2021
Can you take a photo of the RAM module you bought? Is it single-sided or double-sided?

The 64MB they told you makes no sense, on a 4GB RAM module the smallest chip is 256MB.
The RAM look exactly like the ones in the image. I'm not sure what you mean by single or double sided, but they are these ones :
https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr3/ct2k102464bd160b/ct7350348

My bad about the 64MB, it was written 64GB, I just edited it in the main thread.

May 29, 2021
Have you checked DDR voltage in the bios to ensure you’re using the correct voltage? The new sticks are low voltage 1.35. Are the old sticks regular DDR3 at 1.5? If so they can’t be used together.
I've just checked the BIOS, is it the DRAM voltage that I should be looking at?
If so, it is set to "auto", and at 1.488V.
I'm honestly fine if I can't use the 4GB ones along with the new ones, so I would be at 16GB total. Shall I change the "auto" to be 1.35 instead? I'm not sure DRAM voltage is the correct one...

I've just checked the BIOS, is it the DRAM voltage that I should be looking at?
If so, it is set to "auto", and at 1.488V.
I'm honestly fine if I can't use the 4GB ones along with the new ones, so I would be at 16GB total. Shall I change the "auto" to be 1.35 instead? I'm not sure DRAM voltage is the correct one...
The new RAM should be at 1.35v possible that you damaged it if you ran it at 1.5

It says that my Max Unbuffered DDR3 SDRAM is 64 GB, and recommended me

Thank you in advance~
Install the old ram so the machine can function.
Go to the mobo site and get the latest bios...non-beta and chipset driver.
Verify the machine functions ok.
Now try the new ram.

Since the crucial app checked your pc and found a suitable upgrade, start with the assumption that the upgrade selection was correct.
It is possible that the new kit is defective.
At the very least, you should be able to install the two new sticks and run memtest on them.
If that fails,
Contact crucial support, they may want to rma the kit.

I didn’t say anything about compatibility. I said to make sure he isn’t running the RAM at the wrong voltage.
Exactly--you don't know the DDR3L spec and shouldn't be advising on this.

DDR3L modules can run at either 1.35 or 1.5v. DDR3L-only sockets will only deliver 1.35v, so regular DDR3 modules will not work in them. Regular DDR3 sockets can run at either 1.35 or 1.5v so if DDR3L modules are used, they can run at either voltage without issue.

Furthermore, because these are being used in a pre-built system, there is no voltage adjustment or selection options, so incorrect voltage again is not an issue and irrelevant.