Dudde

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
I have bought a new Controlercard (Tx2 Ultra133 from Promise)

But i think i have a problem whit my DMA.
When i send i file to my harddrive on the controlercard (the file is 200 mb) it takes about 2-3 minutes.
Usally its takes 10 sek.
How can i fix this problem?
Maby i have installed the card wrong but i cant se what i have done wrong.

svol

Champion
Check if DMA is set to enabled for your drives/card drivers.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

svol

Champion
Go to Control Panel - System - Hardware.
Then search your HD drives in the list of devices and look in the properties to see if DMA is set to enabled. Also search your controller card and check those settings.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!

Dudde

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
Hmm i cant se that DMA is set to Enable.

And under my controlercard settings i cant change anything.

But when i boot up my computer my controlercard's bios says that DMA 5 is on för my disc.

svol

Champion
And which OS are you using... Win2k sometimes doesn't enable UDMA66 and higher for HDs.

svol

Champion
Ok... I did a search in the Microsoft KnowledgeBase for an easy fix (and not downloading a special app to change the registry setting):
1. Open regedit (regedt32.exe)
2. Locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value Name: EnableUDMA66
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1
4. Then quite and restart and DMA66 and higher should be enabled.

svol

Champion
I would first try the latest drivers from the Promise site.

Dudde

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
It is a .INF file,
I know i have to rightclick on the file and chose install but i dont know where i have to but the file and the .sys file.
And i cant find anything about that in the README

Pako

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
To install the driver go to the control panel/system/Hardware Tab/Device manager There you select
the promise controller card that should appear as a scsi
adapter. Go to the drivers tab and select update driver and point to the downloaded files.

I have the exact same card and use it under XP Pro,
The drivers that were provided in the box were crap
they weren't signed by Microsoft and I couldn't get the card up and running.
So I decided to install a fresh copy of XP with the new and sgned drivers, but if you do that don't forget to place the good drivers on a floppy
and follow the procedure as described in the manual from Promise.
On my Ultra 133 TX² on IDE1 60GB MAXtor on IDE2 IBM 40GB
and I boot from the maxtor.
Since 2 months and no problem
and it's damned fast too.

I hope this helps
greetz