Hi, I have a problem with my HDD (Western Digital 80 GB PATA), I had a
blue screen, and when I rebooted the disk was recognized with random
characters instead of the disk model (for example "Primary master:
SBCY%JU$IKDM987KDHJMRF" instead of WD800...) and of course it didn't
boot. I had to wait a couple of minutes and it started working again.

I remember that in summer (I'm from Argentina, it's winter right now) i
used to have the same problem, but I installed an A.C. in the room and
it didn't give me problems anymore.

But yesterday it was a hot day (weird in winter), like 26/27ºC, and I
didn't turn the AC on, and I had that problem again (the HDD sensor
said it was at 38ºC)

It's working fine again, I checked the SMART values and all of them are
OK (it doesn't have any spin retry, calibration retry or reallocated
sector) , but it has some UltraATA CRC Errors (it's marked OK, but the
raw value it's not 0)

Do you think the drive is OK and it's just a heat problem? Could it be
damaged from the overheating? Or I can just put a HD cooler and the
drive will be OK?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks in advance.

On 31 Jul 2005 02:57:03 -0700, "Fede" <fedito@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, I have a problem with my HDD (Western Digital 80 GB PATA), I had a
>blue screen, and when I rebooted the disk was recognized with random
>characters instead of the disk model (for example "Primary master:
>SBCY%JU$IKDM987KDHJMRF" instead of WD800...) and of course it didn't
>boot. I had to wait a couple of minutes and it started working again.
>
>I remember that in summer (I'm from Argentina, it's winter right now) i
>used to have the same problem, but I installed an A.C. in the room and
>it didn't give me problems anymore.
>
>But yesterday it was a hot day (weird in winter), like 26/27ºC, and I
>didn't turn the AC on, and I had that problem again (the HDD sensor
>said it was at 38ºC)
>
>It's working fine again, I checked the SMART values and all of them are
>OK (it doesn't have any spin retry, calibration retry or reallocated
>sector) , but it has some UltraATA CRC Errors (it's marked OK, but the
>raw value it's not 0)
>
>Do you think the drive is OK and it's just a heat problem? Could it be
>damaged from the overheating? Or I can just put a HD cooler and the
>drive will be OK?
>
>Sorry for my english.
>
>Thanks in advance.

It sounds like either there is a cracked trace on the hdd's circuit board
or perhaps it's your IDE data cable connection on one end or the other
that is being effected by the temperature variation. I'd check the data
cable first and make sure both ends are making good connections.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Previously Fede <fedito@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have a problem with my HDD (Western Digital 80 GB PATA), I had a
> blue screen, and when I rebooted the disk was recognized with random
> characters instead of the disk model (for example "Primary master:
> SBCY%JU$IKDM987KDHJMRF" instead of WD800...) and of course it didn't
> boot. I had to wait a couple of minutes and it started working again.

> I remember that in summer (I'm from Argentina, it's winter right now) i
> used to have the same problem, but I installed an A.C. in the room and
> it didn't give me problems anymore.

> But yesterday it was a hot day (weird in winter), like 26/27ºC, and I
> didn't turn the AC on, and I had that problem again (the HDD sensor
> said it was at 38ºC)

> It's working fine again, I checked the SMART values and all of them are
> OK (it doesn't have any spin retry, calibration retry or reallocated
> sector) , but it has some UltraATA CRC Errors (it's marked OK, but the
> raw value it's not 0)

> Do you think the drive is OK and it's just a heat problem? Could it be
> damaged from the overheating? Or I can just put a HD cooler and the
> drive will be OK?

> Sorry for my english.

> Thanks in advance.

Does not sound like a HDD problem to me, 38C is fine for HDD
temperature. Maybe your Power Supply is marginal and causes
the failure? Or your CPU is overheating?

Arno

Fede <fedito@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have a problem with my HDD (Western Digital 80 GB PATA), I had
> a blue screen, and when I rebooted the disk was recognized with random
> characters instead of the disk model (for example "Primary master:
> SBCY%JU$IKDM987KDHJMRF" instead of WD800...) and of course it
> didn't boot. I had to wait a couple of minutes and it started working again.

> I remember that in summer (I'm from Argentina, it's winter
> right now) i used to have the same problem, but I installed
> an A.C. in the room and it didn't give me problems anymore.

> But yesterday it was a hot day (weird in winter), like
> 26/27ºC, and I didn't turn the AC on, and I had that
> problem again (the HDD sensor said it was at 38ºC)

> It's working fine again, I checked the SMART values and all
> of them are OK (it doesn't have any spin retry, calibration
> retry or reallocated sector) , but it has some UltraATA CRC
> Errors (it's marked OK, but the raw value it's not 0)

What does the drive SMART temperature say, or is it one
of the older WD drives that dont have SMART temperature ?

> Do you think the drive is OK and it's just a heat problem?

Clearly there is a heat problem, its less clear whether
its the drive or something else in the drive subsystem
like the IDE channel or even the ribbon cable. It looks
like you are getting CRCs on the cable or controller.

> Could it be damaged from the overheating?

Yes, that does reduce the life if its getting stinking hot.

> Or I can just put a HD cooler and the drive will be OK?

If its the drive thats getting hot, quite likely.

> Sorry for my english.

Its excellent.

Fede <fedito@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have a problem with my HDD (Western Digital 80 GB PATA), I had
> a blue screen, and when I rebooted the disk was recognized with random
> characters instead of the disk model (for example "Primary master:
> SBCY%JU$IKDM987KDHJMRF" instead of WD800...) and of course it
> didn't boot. I had to wait a couple of minutes and it started working again.

> I remember that in summer (I'm from Argentina, it's winter
> right now) i used to have the same problem, but I installed
> an A.C. in the room and it didn't give me problems anymore.

> But yesterday it was a hot day (weird in winter), like
> 26/27ºC, and I didn't turn the AC on, and I had that
> problem again (the HDD sensor said it was at 38ºC)

> It's working fine again, I checked the SMART values and all
> of them are OK (it doesn't have any spin retry, calibration
> retry or reallocated sector) , but it has some UltraATA CRC
> Errors (it's marked OK, but the raw value it's not 0)

> Do you think the drive is OK and it's just a heat problem?

Clearly there is a heat problem, its less clear whether
its the drive or something else in the drive subsystem
like the IDE channel or even the ribbon cable. It looks
like you are getting CRCs on the cable or controller.

> Could it be damaged from the overheating?

Yes, that does reduce the life if its getting stinking hot.

But 38C is fine.

> Or I can just put a HD cooler and the drive will be OK?

Not likely to help with the drive at 38C, tho its
possible if its got a cracked trace or dry joint.

I'd replace the ribbon cable and see if its still
heat sensitive, and if it is try running the drive on a
different controller on the motherboard if you can.

> Sorry for my english.

Its excellent.

TRENDING THREADS