Problem with A7V600-X

Salutations. I recently bought the A7V600-board for my system, and just
transferred my old processor and PCI cards to the new board. It has
been working fine, but I was worried about the cpu temperature, that
was about 70 degrees celcius at all times, and even higher if I ran
programs and suchlike. I wanted to do something about this, and thought
that maybe a BIOS upgrade would solve some of this issue - so I
downloaded the latest bios edition (1009) from asus.com and tried to
install\flash it with the Liveupdate-program that came on the cd with
the board. It failed during the last step, something about an EEEPROM
and the bios not fitting together or something like that. So I tried
again, to no effect. I also tried to update via the internet, but the
only bios versions aviable through the liveupdate were actually older
than the current one I had then.

now comes the problems. I rebooted my pc, and now it wont boot up at
all. Not even the screen responds, it just says no signal, there is no
POST, no nothing - what went wrong? and what do I do to make this
right? I tried resetting the CMOS but that had no effect

Thanks in advance, Magnus.

(This has been crossposted in alt.comp.pherips.mainboards.asus. hope
that is ok.)

Paul

Splendid

In article <1125851208.738123.228450@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Euthanasia" <magnus.hoem.iversen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Salutations. I recently bought the A7V600-board for my system, and just
> transferred my old processor and PCI cards to the new board. It has
> been working fine, but I was worried about the cpu temperature, that
> was about 70 degrees celcius at all times, and even higher if I ran
> programs and suchlike. I wanted to do something about this, and thought
> that maybe a BIOS upgrade would solve some of this issue - so I
> downloaded the latest bios edition (1009) from asus.com and tried to
> install\flash it with the Liveupdate-program that came on the cd with
> the board. It failed during the last step, something about an EEEPROM
> and the bios not fitting together or something like that. So I tried
> again, to no effect. I also tried to update via the internet, but the
> only bios versions aviable through the liveupdate were actually older
> than the current one I had then.
>
> now comes the problems. I rebooted my pc, and now it wont boot up at
> all. Not even the screen responds, it just says no signal, there is no
> POST, no nothing - what went wrong? and what do I do to make this
> right? I tried resetting the CMOS but that had no effect
>
> Thanks in advance, Magnus.
>
> (This has been crossposted in alt.comp.pherips.mainboards.asus. hope
> that is ok.)

As long as the BIOS flash chip is socketed, you can replace
it with a pre-programmed chip from badflash.com . It should
cost you $25 or so. Depending on the nearest Asus location,
you can also buy a replacement chip from Asus, but the cost is
still in the neighbourhood of $25, and it may take longer to
ship to you. The bare chip itself is only worth about $3 or
so, but you still need to find somebody with a programmer
(or a board to do a "hot flash").

In theory, the CrashFree function can be used to recover from
a bad flash. For that to happen, the boot block area of the
flash must never be updated, and then it would always be there
to aid in a recovery operation. But is sounds like somehow,
your flash operation used too big a file, and the whole chip
got written. (Always use the latest Live Update off the
Asus web site, to get the most complete pre-burn check that
all is well.)

The best algorithm for flashing, is to back up the original
flash image, try to burn the new image, and if that fails,
try to burn using the backed-up original flash image. You
would have to do this, without a reboot in between the
attempts (because, as soon as the computer is reset, there
might not be any flash code).

For CrashFree to work, your manual says it can read a
recovery file from either the floppy or the CDROM. But
if the boot block is erased, then chances are there is
no longer BIOS code present to support that function.

As for your temperature issue, I would have been
checking the fit of the heatsink on the processor,
rather than attempting to flash the BIOS. For example,
if the heatsink is rotated 180 degrees, the silicon
die will not be completely covered by the heatsink
contact patch, and that will cause it to overheat.

Paul

I had exactly the same experience with my A7V600-X board 3-4 month ago. I'd
flashed the BIOS a few times before using LiveUpdate without problem (living
dangerously, I know), but after the last time I did it the board wouldn't
even post, floppy seek, etc, regardless of what I tried, and I think I tried
every solution known to the Internet, including eventually installing a
replacement BIOS. I finally had to replace the motherboard.

I don't remember the version of BIOS I was trying to flash. I'd like to hear
whether/how you resolved your problem.

Tom