Problem with accessing the networked printer via an extra router

Russtymango

Reputable
May 19, 2015
I have 5 computers that need to be have access to a networked printer via USB of the main computer labeled "Office". I have a 4 port modem/router and have connected another router via the Wan port and was able to get the other 2 computers connected. However these 2 computers will not see the printer or other computers since its technically connected to another network. How can i resolve this, I have looked around and from what I have read people are suggesting switches but I wouldn't know which one to get because I know that some switches don't allow internet access. Thoughts?

Solution
Take your pick you can get small unmanned switches very inexpensive. You can even get 8 port 10/100/1000 for under $20
for example tplink TL-SG1008D

There is not a lot of difference between these small switches.

You may still want to use your second router as a switch. You just need to ignore the wan port, turn off the dhcp server and change the ip address to something that does not conflict with the first router.
It depends why you have the second router and why you have the second network.

If you are using it to just get more ethernet port a simple switch would be easier. If you are doing it to extend wireless you are best off running the second router as a AP...it is mostly hooking to the lan port instead but there are even youtube videos of how to use a router as a AP.

If you need to keep 2 networks it depends which router the printer is behind. In both cases you must link the printer via IP it will not show up in any list. If the printer is behind the second router then this is the same problem you have when you try to share a printer with someone on the internet. You would need to link the ip of the second router and then configure port forwarding or DMZ option in the second router to get it to map to the actual printer

Take your pick you can get small unmanned switches very inexpensive. You can even get 8 port 10/100/1000 for under $20
for example tplink TL-SG1008D

There is not a lot of difference between these small switches.

You may still want to use your second router as a switch. You just need to ignore the wan port, turn off the dhcp server and change the ip address to something that does not conflict with the first router.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS