Question Problem with AMD 7900 XTX ?

aetherynn

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Hello, just finished with a new build and i cannot for the life of me figure out why my games have alot of (for lack of better terms) white aura's around objects, ie in WOW buildings and anything flying in the air all have white shading around them when moving, stationary everything looks great. In sea of thieves when moving the graphics of the water and horizon turn horrible and choppy, again when stationary every thing looks great. I have tried using multiple drivers(mind you there are only 3 that i can find being a newer card) I have tired several different cables but to no avail. I wouldnt think that to be the issue, on my old rig it looked fine but just in case I have:

ASUS Z790 Hero
i9-13900K
AMD 7900 XTX
32gb Corsair 5600 DDR5.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Check to see if FSR got turned on? That can introduce visual artifacts when it upscales from lower resolutions.

New monitor supports HDR and/or old GPU didn't and the monitor does? Local dimming with HDR on might explain certain types of what looks like glowing. High local dimming setting might also.

I do recall a visual glitch that sounds like what you are describing. Some pictures or video are probably worthwhile.

Current recommendation is to not use the latest drivers as a precaution. 6900s have been exploding for unknown reasons as of a recent driver update. Unknown if there is any correlation.

Reference (AMD) 7900 XTX also have a potential flaw in their vapor chambers and won't work properly in the standard desktop orientation (fans point towards the floor) But will work better vertically mounted. You can request a replacement if you find your card is overheating.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Current recommendation is to not use the latest drivers as a precaution. 6900s have been exploding for unknown reasons as of a recent driver update. Unknown if there is any correlation.

Latest news suggests that a batch of improperly stored GPUs hit the used market. High humidity caused them to absorb moisture and rapid heating of the GPU die caused them to crack and short. Possibly.

It sounds very odd to me but weird things happen when it comes to being an early adopter of a new GPU architecture. One question that must be asked is "Did you use DDU to clear out the old drivers and install the new ones?". I only ask because a lot of first-time Radeon owners (I don't know if this is you) don't know about DDU and have driver issues, especially if they were previously using a GeForce card. I would say it's very likely that not using DDU is the single biggest cause of "driver issues" with Radeon cards today.

If you did use DDU, then Eximo is most likely correct and FSR may be the problem (although it shouldn't be to that extent). You may already know all about this but just in case, here's a link to get DDU from Guru3D.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
FSR is not on, my old setup was with a 5700XT worked great monitor is a LG 34GN850-B. so far temps havent exceeded 75C https://youtube.com/shorts/WGjqMZLOv1M?feature=share there is a sniper of wow maybe that will help, sorry I’m not sure how to stream so you could get a full view ><.

That is more or less the glowing I was thinking of. I have seen it before, but I don't recall what the cause was.

Some searching says it is a fault with Ambient Occlusion, see if you can turn that off either in game or globally.

aetherynn

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
OK tried the DDU idea problem still lingers, only workaround i have found so far is if i switch my monitor from DP 1.4 to DP 1.2 all my problems go away but am limited to 100hz so not ideal.

aetherynn

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
OK did a wipe and reinstalled everything, that problem is now gone, YAY! but now if i play any game using vulkan it crashes immediatly, I have always heard AMD drivers are dreadful but never felt it until now! any suggestions?