Problem with AMD Ryzen Master Application and high voltage

divinewarax

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
So this is my first time ever posting to a thread.

I have a R7 2700x and ASUS ROG Strix X-470 F motherboard. I used to leave the AMD Master Application at auto-overclocking. But ever since updating my BIOS, AMD's software has been pushing a near-constant 1.3-1.4 volts. I know that it's pretty normal for it to get that high while gaming and such. But just sitting at my desktop? Really? It causes temp spikes to the point my H100i ramps up the fan speed and it goes back and forth. Very obnoxious. I have a custom profile at 1.2 volts and subtle overclock of 3.9ghz. All is well and good until I lock my pc or it enters any sort of low power state, as AMD disables MY profile and reverts to the auto-overclock that is pushing high voltage. I have to enable my profile every time I unlock my pc. I have no idea why it's a problem since updating my bios, before that AMD's auto-overclock was only pushing 1.4 when it was sustaining high clocks. Even in the BIOS my it's giving me high temps of near 50c!

Again, this is my first forum post. So let me know if this is too long or you need any other info. I'm pretty desperate because I can't get my bios to overclock my CPU manually even with all the correct inputs, and I don't want AMD shortening my brand new CPUs lifetime with consistently high voltage. Thanks for any help!

Solution

lewis02

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

Only real solution would be to delete Ryzen Master and overclock using the BIOS. You could also try updating your BIOS, but I doubt that would fix the issue, because Ryzen Master is known to be a bit buggy.

Also, if you have a 2700x, overclocking really isn't going to help too much unless you can get something like 4.2GHz. It will improve your multicore performance, but will actually reduce your single core performance (since the CPU turbos to 4.35GHz.) If you have all cores at a flat 3.9GHz you will likely get less gaming performance than if you leave the CPU at stock.

Solution