[SOLVED] Problem with an external HDD

neprotivo

Prominent
Oct 23, 2019
Hello! I've been using a Silicon Power (2 TB) external HDD for a while, maybe 5 years already, and I haven't had any problems so far. However, when I plugged it in today, the computer couldn't recognize it for some reason. The HDD's light turns on and you can hear the usual sound, but the computer doesn't recognize it. I tested it on another computer, and even the TV, but the same thing happens. I can see it in Disk Management, but it says Unknown and Not Initialized, and there's some huge (unrealistic) number of GB, under which it says Unallocated. I tried a few programs - some don't recognize it, others do - but they don't do much. If you try to initialize the HDD, it says that's not possible because of I/O error. Does anyone have any idea what exactly is going on with the HDD and whether an expert could fix it ? I haven't had any problems with the HDD so far, and it appears that it turns on (light and sound), but the computer just doesn't recognize it. Thanks!

Here is a screenshot of what I see in Disk Management:

Screenshot

Solution
It is a laptop. Will there be any difference if I try on a desktop ? And I honestly don't feel comfortable removing the HDD myself. I always worry that I might mess something up. But I could give it to some expert.

Normally you will need an USB 3.0 to SATA adapter to connect your HDD to the laptop.

neprotivo

Prominent
Oct 23, 2019
It is a laptop. Will there be any difference if I try on a desktop ? And I honestly don't feel comfortable removing the HDD myself. I always worry that I might mess something up. But I could give it to some expert.