[SOLVED] Problem with ASRock Q1900M and WDC 1TB Purple HDD

Feb 7, 2019
My desktop computer's motherboard is UEFI, an ASRock Q1900M, with an Intel Celeron J1900 processor, and a DDR3 4GB 1033MHz DIMM module. The BIOS is AMI version P1.60 and the optical drive is Optiarc DVD+/-RW. This motherboard was installed just as I removed it from its packaging, without any modification of its original factory parameters.
The first thing I did was trying to add a Seagate ST1000DM003, 1TB, SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ and 7200 rpm HDD and install Windows 7 Ultimate. Everything worked fine for 8 months.
Suddenly the hard disk failed, the computer didn't want to recognize it anymore, so I bought another, this time is a Western Digital Purple 1TB, SATA 6 Gb/s DVR/NVR. I have tried to install Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 but on all occasions the installation fails as soon as it starts and displays a blue screen with the message "ACPI_BIOS_ERROR".
I have tried changing all possible combinations in the motherboard configuration: ACPI HPET Table enabled, ACPI HPET Table disabled; SATA IDE mode, SATA AHCI mode, AHCI Optiarc, UEFI Optiarc, etc, but without any result.
Finally I decided to install Linux instead of Windows. I tried with Debian 9.7.0-amd64 Stretch and made three partitions: 30GB for / (root), 4GB for swap, and the rest for /home. The installation went smoothly but I can't access the menu or any of the icons on the screen. They're just frozen.
My questions are: why the first HDD worked always so fine and the new is failing?. Why does the Linux installation also fail with this motherboard and this HDD?. What am I doing wrong?. Can you please help me solve this problem? Thank you in advance for your kind cooperation.

Solution
Yes I have always used gigabyte motherboards either micro atx or full Have two an older i3 3gen 3.0 GHZ and my new i5 8500 with z370p yes its a gaming board but it has better hardware.

I do not think windows 10 would run smooth on that cpu. An i3 i5 is better with 8GB ram.

Before I built my new system, I went to best buy and looked at the desktops there all have 4GB ram which just save money for manufacturers. For the hardware in those systems I build one for a little more that thst cost of a name brand.
Feb 7, 2019

Tksvm for your answer, One of the first things I thought about was memory, but MEMTEST86 run 4 times and found nothing bad. Any other idea?

Dave8671

Distinguished
I read an article recently about failures and the black and purple drives were part of the article. I building a new system and I have no issues with WD blue drives yet. Retail boxed Hard drives have either 2 or 3 year warranties if it failed you can contact the manufacture to replace the drive after a RMA in most cases. Unless your HDD is OEM boxed these drives have no warranty and come in a brown unlabeled box. Windows 7 has support till sometime in 2020 after that no more updates or patches.

A few thing to clear up

- you disabled Secure boot in the security tab in the BIOS correct?

-Linux normally will not even boot up the installation disc if its on.

-Windows 7 does not know about secure boot, only win8 and up does

-When you tried to install windows 10 did it try to format the drive and than fail? The GPT partition might need to be fixed.

First thing to do is reset the default in the BIOS than change the following settings

-Disable the TPM
-Disable secure boot
-change the boot to SATA IDE mode
-Windows 7 has to have the windows 7 anniversary update to be able to use UEFI mode [ sometimes called SP2)

Next step is the GPT partition you must use the win10 install disc to fix this.

While booted into the windows 10 setup DVD

Press Shift F10 to open a command prompt window. Than open the diskpart tool by typing

diskpart

Identify the drive to reformat by typing

list disk

You will see disks with numbers. Example primary C drive is 0 if your disk is 0 than type

select disk 0

Next fix the drive type once its complete type

clean

wait till clean command finishes than type

Convert gpt

Once this is done reboot see if the installation will start if you want win10 installed. If you want windows 7 you must delete the GPT partition than start the win7 install disc and have it remove the partition and format the drive. Do not change to legacy and back to UEFI or reverse after a install of any OS this will cause it not to boot and corrupt the partition.

The Linux side

Debian 9.7 is different than most other distributions

-if you want this OS installed use the live session and than install gparted from the command line apt install gparted view below how to use it if you do not know how. must remove the GPT partition and than install Debian. Your CPU maybe be slow due to its type and gen. Debian will be slow on the first boot it was for my laptops.

once its done it slow process. Install update it in the command line

su "your password" apt update

than

apt upgrade

than reboot it see how it runs if you get this far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5kh_-6e4kk

Feb 7, 2019

Feb 7, 2019
Dave8671: Thank you for your very detailed reply. My intention is not to install Linux, I only did it because I couldn't install Windows. But what I really need is Windows because the person who uses that computer only knows that operating system and doesn't want to know anything about any other OS.
To be honest I'm not sure I've disabled Secure Boot, though I am now reviewing the manual that came with the motherboard and Secure Boot appears as disabled by default, but I'll check that option as soon as I can.

With regard to formatting the hard drive as GPT, Windows doesn't even allow me to get to that point because every time I've tried to start the installation it immediately displays a blue screen with the message "ACPI_BIOS_ERROR" and then the computer restarts and starts an eternal loop always showing the same blue screen and error message.

The first thing I'm going to do is check Secure Boot, but if that doesn't work I don't know what else to try. What I find extremely weir is that when I installed the motherboard and the previous disk for the first time I didn't need to change any parameters. The installation flowed like a breeze and everything worked perfectly for about eight months. Strange, isn't it?

Dave8671

Distinguished
If that drive circuit board failed that can explain that. I am going to look into this
ACPI_BIOS_ERROR more closely. If you reset to the defaults in the bios and this still happens one thing that can explain this possibility is a motherboard bios failure.

Dave8671

Distinguished
When tou get this ACPI_BIOS_ERROR do you get a value next to it? Something like this 0x000000A5. If yes please post it

My theory is the drive might be corrupted and if that is the case. The value that proceeds the text of the error ca n help.

Dave8671

Distinguished
What dimm slot is the ram installed in? The mobo manual states this.

If only one DIMM module is installed, please install it into DDR3_A1.

Memtest86 will not always detect ram errors if they are intermittent. I suggest using 8Gb ram 4 Gb is really not enough for windows 10 to run smooth.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Yes I have always used gigabyte motherboards either micro atx or full Have two an older i3 3gen 3.0 GHZ and my new i5 8500 with z370p yes its a gaming board but it has better hardware.

I do not think windows 10 would run smooth on that cpu. An i3 i5 is better with 8GB ram.

Before I built my new system, I went to best buy and looked at the desktops there all have 4GB ram which just save money for manufacturers. For the hardware in those systems I build one for a little more that thst cost of a name brand.

Solution