Problem with Asus HD6870 DirectCU in crossfire

headbash

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi,

as the title says I got problems getting my two Asus HD6870 DirectCU to work in crossfire. The problem Im having is that as soon as I install the drivers and restart my computer it gets stuck on "Starting Windows" and have to force a restart. Both cards work well by themselves and I have tried putting them both in both my PCI-e slots and they work.

I got a P8P67 LE motherboard with 8gb mem @ 1333mHz. My CPU is a i5-2300 @ 2.8gHz and a 750W corsai PSU.

I have been googling and searching for a fix for many hours and nothing seems to work. I have done all the basic stuff like removing all drivers, fully reinstall windows 7 etc.

I would deeply appreciate any help in the matter since Im truly out of ideas at this point.

larkspur

Distinguished
I assume you have a crossfire bridge connected properly?

Once the drivers have been installed, you can activate crossfire through the catalyst control center (CCC). You mentioned the cards work fine by themselves (in games or just windows desktop?) so it sounds like you've installed the drivers properly. You shouldn't need to reinstall the drivers to enable crossfire. Are you saying that after you enable crossfire in CCC and reboot that it hangs? Or are you just completely unable to install the drivers?

Not sure if this is relevant but my recent experience:
I have the 6970 directCU card. When I installed it (by itself not in crossfire like yours), I first downloaded the latest drivers from AMD and tried those but had similar hanging on boot. I uninstalled all the drivers using DriverSweeper. Then I put the actual disk that came with the card and let it install itself. Then it rebooted and worked great with no problems. After about a month of inside-my-brain debate I decided to update the drivers since the disk's drivers were 2 versions behind. All worked perfectly. In the past I've always ignored the disk that comes with a card, but in your case maybe try the disk you got with the cards.

headbash

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi,

the cards works fine by themselves in any game or application etc. THe problem with it getting stuck on windows starting is when i introduce the second card and have the drivers installed. I can start the computer fine with 2 cards in crossfire but then I can't have CCC or any driver installed or it hangs.

Got 2 crossfire bridges and I've tried putting them on in every way possible.

The BIOS has been updated to the newest version aswell.

larkspur

Distinguished

Ok, sorry I'm still a bit foggy. To be clear, you are saying that you can boot Windows with only one card plugged-in and install AMD's driver bundle (including CCC). At that point everything works fine. Then you shutdown, plug-in the 2nd card and hook up the crossfire bridge. At this point Windows hangs when you boot. Effectively you can't even get to CCC to enable crossfire in the driver.

You also say that when you completely uninstall the graphics drivers, you can get Windows to boot with both cards connected in crossfire. But at that point if you try to install the AMD graphics driver bundle (including CCC) it installs, then hangs on reboot.

Assuming all of the above is true, the best I can think to do is uninstall the drivers completely, plug in both cards, connect the bridge(s) and boot windows. Try the disk that came with your cards. Let it do its thing. If that also hangs on reboot, I dunno :(

headbash

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Yup you pretty much understood my problem :) Though I'm afraid to say that I have tried with the drivers that came on the disk that came with the cards.

larkspur

Distinguished

Well, aside from checking the obvious (power cables to both cards, trying only one CF bridge, making sure the cards don't have dip switches or jumpers set wrong, etc), that's the limit of my tricks. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable has some ideas, or you could cross-your-fingers with Asus tech support...

only use 1 crossfire bridge.use driversweeper to remove any installed drivers, follow all the instructions to use it properly, then reinstall the latest drivers.

headbash

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
What I meant is that I got 2 bridges and I've tried them both, can't even have 2 connected at the same time. And as I've written earlier I have removed all the drivers serveral times and installed many different versions of the drivers, including the latest ones and the ones I got with the cards.

yes, but have you used DRIVERSWEEPER to remove the drivers. It is completely different to using ATI's uninstall. It removes registry entries, files and everything. Use it in safe mode, reboot, and only install the latest drivers

larkspur

Distinguished
After you install the drivers and it "hangs" on windows boot, how long are you letting it hang? In the past I've noticed long bootup times the first time after a graphics driver install. In Win 7 when I installed SP1 it hung for about 5 minutes when it rebooted but it did finally boot. I know I'm grasping at straws here but figured it worth it to ask.

larkspur

Distinguished

It sounds like you've pretty much tried everything. Based on what you've said, you've done everything right. Your Corsair 750w should be enough for those cards and your mobo supports crossfire. I think you're at the point of contacting Asus since at least one of your cards appears to have a crossfire malfunction. I think you've covered all the software possibilities with your numerous driver installs and full removals with DriverSweeper. The fact that each card works fine by itself also points toward at least one of your cards having a hardware malfunction only applicable to Crossfire. I'd contact Asus and see what they say. I have no idea whether they guarantee those cards will work in Crossfire... The product page does have the CrossfireX logo and indicates support. Sounds like you're in for more headaches, sry I couldn't be more help.

larkspur

Distinguished
One last thing from me on this. Do you have any other PCIe cards plugged in to you mobo? According to your mobo's support site, "Due to the CrossFireX™ limitation, DO NOT use the PCIe x1 slots when you install two CrossFireX™ graphics cards on both the PCIe x16 slots to set up a CrossFireX™ configuration"

If you have any other PCIe cards (like a RAID card or something) it sounds like you can't use them if you want CrossFire with that mobo. Is that applicable to your situation?

headbash

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hi,

thanks for trying :) Went out to get another mobo today, a gigabyte with CrossfireX support in x8 mode instead of x4 if that might be the problem. Unfortunately that wasen't the case and it still get stuck o windows starting. Gonna have a word with Asus tomorrow since I can be pretty sure at this point that it's one of the cards fault.

aizen_25

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hi,

I had the same issue with you and its been 6days already before i fix the issue. When you couldn't boot up to windows try to force restart again until you go through it prompting "No AMD drivers installed blah.blah..blah..." > go to device manager > display adapters > check if its shows your 2 cards there > then right click on either one of them click enable > it will ask you to restart your pc, do not restart yet > right click on the other card and enable it > then you restart > windows should boot up with your crossfire config enabled (atleast it was for me). Double check on CCC if it is really enable.

Let me know if that works, btw the 6days of struggles was 5days figuring out that 1card was faulty, it runs fine on single but when crossfire it doesnt so went to the store and they replaced it with new one and i tried the above thingy. Success, hope it will be for you also.

-=AiZeN=-