Question Problem with brand new 4090 - Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2023
Hi,

I have recently installed a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 into my machine, and my display simply says no signal detected (My monitors are all working properly) All the components are powered on, including the graphics card (the fans and the RGB lights around the fan are not powering up) I am also met with the 'white' VGA warning light on my motherboard. I have tried several different things to try and boot up:

1. Flashed the BIOS via USB
2. Reseated the 4090 several times.
3. My old 1080Ti boots up no problem when I swapped it back in.

To connect the graphics card to my PSU I have the Nvidia 12VHPWR splitter / adapter to 4 PCIe Cables - BUT I only have 3 PCIe cables one of which has the double connector that I have chained into the 4th connection, I have read into this a little bit and most are saying the system should still boot up. Should I order another cable so I have 4 indapendant connections? There are no indicator lights on the GPU that signal there is any power issues. I am at a loss - am I missing something or do I have a faulty card?

Specs:

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi II
AMD 12-Core 24 thread
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 Gb (4x16Gb)
Gigabyte Windforce Gaming OC 24G Geforce RTX 4090
Corsair RM1000x

Solution
I'm not using a riser.

I got this cable: Fasgear PCI-e Power Cable I read all the reviews, they are type 4 and specifucally for Corsair PSUs. Not as good as the Cablemod or the Corsair. But good enough to see if the current cables I have are faulty - or if I have a bad card. I'll probably get the real thing, depending on the results!
Problem solved, folks! The new power cable fixed it. Thanks for the help!
When had my 4080 and my old 1000W PSU used the adapter they gave me to connect to the PSU to GPU but was short off pci cables so tried booting it up with all my cables connected to the splitter but faced with black screen issue. I even tried booting it with just two x6 PCI cable into spillter did not work and did not have enough to cover all 3 because it left two pins out!. I went to the gaming shop and bought 3.0 psu a cable directly plugs into psu to gpu and it worked. So what am trying to say could be a connection issue. 4090 is powerful card and if you dont have right things to connect it wont work

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloudchuckles
Aug 21, 2023
Are you ordering PCI cable because its kinda not recommended to mix and match cables
Have you tried all of your PCIe cables with your 1080 Ti just to make sure they're all working? If they are the only two things that would be to blame are bad card or bad 12VHPWR to 8 pin adapter cable.
I ordered a 12VHPWR -->3 x 8 Pin male cable, so no adapter or additional PCIe cables needed. Hoping this fixes the issue. If not I will have to send the card back, I'm afraid 🤞

I ordered a 12VHPWR -->3 x 8 Pin male cable, so no adapter or additional PCIe cables needed. Hoping this fixes the issue. If not I will have to send the card back, I'm afraid 🤞
You should be careful when you mix cables that connect directly to your PSU. Noncompatible cables with a PSU can cause damage even to all of your components. For Corsair PSU's i would suggest the cables that Corsair sells like (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-...-5-12vhpwr-600w-cable-type-4-white-cp-8920332). Thats what i ended up getting for my Corsair HX850 as it was the safest option from the same brand.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yes you need a type 4 cable from corsair or one from cable mod that is for Corsair type 4.

EDIT I actually think you got a bad card unless your using a PCI-E riser then that could be a problem.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023
Yes you need a type 4 cable from corsair or one from cable mod that is for Corsair type 4.

EDIT I actually think you got a bad card unless your using a PCI-E riser then that could be a problem.
I'm not using a riser.

I got this cable: Fasgear PCI-e Power Cable I read all the reviews, they are type 4 and specifucally for Corsair PSUs. Not as good as the Cablemod or the Corsair. But good enough to see if the current cables I have are faulty - or if I have a bad card. I'll probably get the real thing, depending on the results!

Aug 21, 2023
I'm not using a riser.

Problem solved, folks! The new power cable fixed it. Thanks for the help!

Solution
Aug 21, 2023
I also just installed a 4090 and I also purchased a 1000e psu from Corsair. I used their included cable. My computer turns on but I have nothing on my screens.

You have to have 4 individual PCIe power cables connected to the adapter, no dual chained cables.

If that doesn’t fix it, I would find another adapter. The one I linked in the solution above solved my problem! If that doesn’t fix it I would send the card back.

Status
Not open for further replies.