Question Problem with CAD software after fresh Windows 7 install

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I've been using an old electronics CAD software called CircuitMaker 2000 for almost 20 years, the last 5 or 6 years with Windows 7U x64. Never had any problem until I did a fresh Win7 install last week.

The program has a file called USER.LIB where user-created symbols are saved. After the fresh installation of Windows last week, I could no longer save new symbols. I found that it had created a folder in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\ where it stores various INI and DAT files. I moved the USER.LIB file from Program Files to that location and could then save new symbols.

HOWEVER, as soon as I save a new symbol, the file name changes by itself to USERLIB.TMP and the new symbol then becomes inaccessible unless I rename the file back to USER.LIB. This happens every time I create and save a new symbol.

I've been trying to solve the problem for the past three days. I uninstalled and re-installed the program at least a dozen times, tried installing it in Program Files and in Program Files (x86). I checked the INI files and cleaned the registry with CCleaner. Nothing works.

I'll greatly appreciate any new ideas.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
It gives full permission to the system - Full control, read, write, read & execute, modify. This is a single user setup and I'm the administrator.

BTW the software installation file is very small - a single 6.69MB exe file. At least I can do repeated installations very quickly. I keep copies in several different locations as a guard against accidental deletion or corruption.

It includes schematic drawing and simulation as well as a PCB design program with schematic capture and auto-routing. The PCB program is a dream to use while the schematic portion has always been a bit of a PITA. It's as if they were designed by two separate teams with completely different mindsets.