Problem with CD witer install...HELP!!!

G

I have a Gateway 450 Mhz workstation running Windows NT (Workstation). I tried to replace the CD ROM with a CD writer (Hewlett Packard Plus 7200). After installing the new CDW, the machine would not boot properly; it bypasses the NT Bootup and attempts to get a DHCP address (the system must think its a network computer; afterward it says that it doesn't see the operating system) When I remove the IDE cable to the CDW, however, the system boots up properly. When I tried to reinstall the orignal CD drive, it now does the same thing. I have tried manipulating the BIOS settings, as well as adjusting the slave and master jumpers. Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I can get the system to boot properly, with the CDW installed? Any help would be appreciated.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It sounds like it is not recognizing the hard drive properly. Check to see if the hard drive jumpers are correct.
Also recheck all the cables. One cable may be loose or you may have plugged it in backwards/upsidedown.
Take the CDROM out of the boot sequence in the bios.
What other drives do you have and how are they connected?

James

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you sure you have the latest BIOS? This little things can mean big on your computer.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!

G

Your hard drive might have more than just the normal two jumper settings (Master/Slave). Some of them have the additional 'Master with Slave' setting. That would be the first thing I'd check.

Have you considered putting the CDR drive on the secondary IDE interface? (if you have one).

let us know your progress!

matthew

--
<font color=red><i>Who ate all the pies?</i></font color=red>

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
make sure that you have your master and slave settings right. Also make sure that you are using the right kind of IDE cable. some newer drives won't work on older cables.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

G

It sounds like the classic "I just installed/replaced my cd-rom, and my computer won't work anymore" problem.

If you replaced the CD-ROM, make sure the new cd-rom is set to the same master/slave setting as the original drive, and use the same cable(regardless of it being on the primary or secondary channel)then make sure that the cable is correct (BTW, if you accidently flipped the cable upside-down, go find your recovery disk, you may have wiped out your hard drive.)

I do however recommend that you install the cd-rom on the secondary interface if it has one. If you have accidently flipped the hard-drives cable upside-down, you may have corrupted the data on your hard drive (usually zaps the MBR.)

--Kisai
"Hmm, I wonder how many pieces this will end up as when it hits the ground?"