Problem with cpu, please help

Qetuo761

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
I made my own computer I little while back and noticed a few bent pins in the cpu socket but said screw it and went ahead with using it. My computer has worked fine since then and just recently froze, forcing me to shut it down. I couldn't turn it back on for some reason(started up, no display, just fans) so I took out the cpu to troubleshoot and was reminded of the broken pins. After some research I believe this to be the problem but what I want to know is whether or not the cpu is damaged. Could the cpu having been sitting in the socket working with broken pins damaged it in some way? I need to know because I will be purchasing a new motherboard and need to know if I should also be replacing the cpu. If it helps at all the computer is acting as though it doesn't have a cpu in place(pressing the power causes an on/off repeat as if it's constantly restarting every few seconds) and the broken pins are directly under the center portion of the socket.

Signalll

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015

Possibly something got shorted, If you have a working board I'd put it in there, otherwise bring it to your local geek squad or computer store and have them test it for you, sorry to hear your board was defective, check the warranty see if it is returnable. Anyway good luck!