[SOLVED] Problem with CPU?

Manixo

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Hi

So lately something in my PC has developed an issue, I suspect the CPU.

So if there's any load on the CPU (if I'm opening web pages, loading program...) it will lag the whole pc: mouse lags, sound makes a static/laggy noise.
There's one weird part which makes the CPU less suspicious, having the CPU at 100% (cinebench) doesn't affect it, yet opening programs/webpages does. (also did it while i was DOWNLOADING visual studio so probably other programs too)

This started happening during an overclock (ram & CPU), after which I downclocked back to factory settings (BIOS RESET).
I've tried: Reinstalling windows, downclocking, slightly overclocking... all without positive result.

CPU: i5-4690k
RAM: 4x4GB
SSD: 500GB Samsung
MB: MSI z87-g45 gaming

Last edited:
Solution
IMO Yes - it's fairly common for faulty RAM to cause the kind of issue you are describing. Issue still occurring in safe mode usually means a hardware problem, this is reinforced by the fact that you've clean installed on a different SSD and the problem continued.

Getting worse over time is usually indicative of a heating issue, as the component heats up, the worse the lag gets. But you say that's already been covered.

You can try memtest first and see if it identifies anything obvious - if not you can remove all but 1 stick of RAM and retest to see if the issue continues, and if it stops, you just swap and change to find the faulty module / slot.

Following that it may also be worth checking that the CPU cooler is secure without...

Manixo

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Please post FULL system spec, including PSU make and model/

This less sounds like CPU and sounds more like RAM or storage.
So to clarify, you reset BIOS to default - and the issue continues?

CPU: i5 4690k
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury, 2x4GB corsair vengeance blue
PSU: CoolerMaster v1000
SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 500gb (OS DRIVE) + Crucial 500SSD & 2 HDD
Motherboard: MSI z87-G45 gaming

Continued after BIOS yes

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
IMO Yes - it's fairly common for faulty RAM to cause the kind of issue you are describing. Issue still occurring in safe mode usually means a hardware problem, this is reinforced by the fact that you've clean installed on a different SSD and the problem continued.

Getting worse over time is usually indicative of a heating issue, as the component heats up, the worse the lag gets. But you say that's already been covered.

You can try memtest first and see if it identifies anything obvious - if not you can remove all but 1 stick of RAM and retest to see if the issue continues, and if it stops, you just swap and change to find the faulty module / slot.

Following that it may also be worth checking that the CPU cooler is secure without being "too tight" and potentially seeing if there are any bent CPU socket pins as this can also give faulty RAM symptoms.

Solution

Manixo

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019

Following that it may also be worth checking that the CPU cooler is secure without being "too tight" and potentially seeing if there are any bent CPU socket pins as this can also give faulty RAM symptoms.

Well, my SSD just decided to break my windows taking all my files with it.

Just took the SSD out of my laptop, going to test once more with this one. Then I'll get to the RAM, cooler, etc

Manixo

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Just installed windows on yet another SSD and took out my 2 oldest RAM sticks, this seems to have fixed the issue.
Most likely the RAM as the SSD seems fine after testing it.

Thanks for all the help :)