problem with crossfire build, please help

Vexray

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I recently built a computer and bought 2 do 280x gpus, but have had a nightmare with the system. I'll start from the top:

Fx990UD Gigabyte MoBo
8370 Vishera 4ghz cpu
8g 1866 Mushkin Red line ram
2x R9 280x Gigabyte OC edition GPUs
750w Thermaltake 80+ Gold rated PSU
Zalman Z11 mid atx case

After build was put together I experienced issues with crossfire setup. I began to troubleshoot but have run out of ideas and I'm now in a position where refund is impossible.
During crossfire my games would become very choppy, occasionally causing graphic defects similar to static on 1/3 of the screen, but only very briefly, then the computer would lock up causing a reboot.
I ran furmark, at 720p runs 177fps flawlessly, as soon as I ran test 1080p immediately after starting my computer hard resets.here's what I've done so far:

1. Tested both cards separately, both fine.
2. Reinstalled drivers, both beta and stable releases
3. Tested for thermal issues, cards never achieved higher 78c
4. Updated all drivers, visual runtimes, and dx and mantle drivers, problem persists.
5. Tested several games, alien isolation fps lower on crossfire than on single card. On landmark graphic defects and potential heat on cpu, reaching 81c. On tomb raider fps struggled with crossfire but flawless on single. On path of exile, stuttering in heavy combat.
6. Ran prime95, burn in for 8+ successfully hours no faults found on torture test.
7. Disabled ULPS using msi afterburner still issue persists.
8. Set ram to X.M.P. in bios, same issue
9. Tried different display ports and cords, switched from mini dp, hdmi and dvi-d. (Noticed with more than 1 monitor connected to first card I get black screen, unresolved).
10. Swapped positions on mobo the gpu were in, no difference.
11. Moved crossfire bridge to second set of XFIRE bracket, no change.

I'm out of ideas and at a dead end. Both cards run flawlessly by themselves, but not crossfired. I can't return the cards to newegg and have to go thru gigabytes hassle network or sell for half price on Craigslist to change out, the system theoretically should play everything at max settings but I can barely even get it to run. Please help I don't know what more to do and I've made a 1500$ investment into this system.