[SOLVED] Problem with ddr2 ram.

patoesuncapo

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
Hi, I have a problem with my secondary pc related to ram. The components of my pc are: mother p4m900-m7 fe 7.0, core 2 duo e7500, gt 220 1 gb ddr3.
The pc had two 1 gb modules, that is to say 2 gb ddr2 in total. One module is A-data at 667 mhz and another Kingston at 800 mhz, everything worked perfectly, with and without a video card everything works well, logically both work at the lowest speed (667).
I buyed a 2gb module to have a total 3gb of ddr2 ram. Kingston ddr2 module from 2gb to 800 mhz, the module by itself works perfect with and without gpu, the problem is that when combined with another module with the gpu CONNECTED gives blue screens in windows, this doesn't happen when I remove the gpu. I can have 3 gb without the gpu (lowering the speed to 267 mhz, in 333 blue screen), or 2 gb with gpu.
I try everything, change sticks places, play with timings and voltages, change psu, etc. I never see cases of incompatibility between gpu and ram, so it seems strange to me. All sticks work fine without the video card inserted, so it is not their fault or the mother's. The video card also works perfect when it has only 2 gb of ram installed, it works with both the 2 gb module only or with the 2 of a 1 gb. I'm thinking of buying another 2 gb module that looks cheap and see if it works like that, because on the motherboard page it says that it supports 4 gb perfectly.
Attached images to see if they help a little. Thanks for your time, and sorry for my english!
https://ibb.co/HnRtJWD

Solution
You've already come to the proper resolution yourself. DDR2 memory is very finicky and works best when pairing 2 modules of the same speed and size. Just like it's recommended on newer systems, its even more recommended on a system with DDR2. You will want to get a kit and use 2 modules of the same together. While I do find it a bit strange that you were facing blue screens only when putting the GPU in, I'm sure the GPU isn't addressing your mismatched memory properly, and will probably work fine when you get memory that matches. It appears the motherboard does prefer 667 MHz over 800 MHz, but you should be able to use 800 MHz without issue.
You've already come to the proper resolution yourself. DDR2 memory is very finicky and works best when pairing 2 modules of the same speed and size. Just like it's recommended on newer systems, its even more recommended on a system with DDR2. You will want to get a kit and use 2 modules of the same together. While I do find it a bit strange that you were facing blue screens only when putting the GPU in, I'm sure the GPU isn't addressing your mismatched memory properly, and will probably work fine when you get memory that matches. It appears the motherboard does prefer 667 MHz over 800 MHz, but you should be able to use 800 MHz without issue.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Regardless of what platform you are working with, you're advised not to mix and match rams. Using this image;
004181001_1-371dd29bf4d2b93e7db62362aeafa8d8.png

You should be sourcing two 2GB sticks of ram that are identical. You will find 800MHz ram kits but if they work on your platform, they will be downclocked to DDR2-667MHz.

This might sound far fetched but what BIOS version is your motherboard on at the time of writing? On a side note, please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

patoesuncapo

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018

Thanks for your help, I will buy another module equal to the 2 gb.

patoesuncapo

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
Regardless of what platform you are working with, you're advised not to mix and match rams. Using this image;
004181001_1-371dd29bf4d2b93e7db62362aeafa8d8.png

You should be sourcing two 2GB sticks of ram that are identical. You will find 800MHz ram kits but if they work on your platform, they will be downclocked to DDR2-667MHz.

This might sound far fetched but what BIOS version is your motherboard on at the time of writing? On a side note, please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Thanks for your help, I will buy another module equal to the 800, I have a refund if it doesn't work. Not problem with 667/533 mhz speed, but i need 3 gb ram or more. I have the last Bios update (2009-02-24)

CPU: Core 2 Duo E7500
Motherboard: p4m900-m7 fe 7.0
Ram: 1 gb, A-data 667 mhz, 1 gb Kingston 800 mhz, 2 gb Kingston 800 mhz.
HDD: Western Digital Blue 500 gb, Maxtor 80 gb.
GPU: GT 220x 1 gb ddr3 PNY.
PSU: Generic 550w / EVGA 550w 80 plus bronze.
Chassis: Generic.

Thanks for your help, I will buy another module equal to the 800, I have a refund if it doesn't work. Not problem with 667/533 mhz speed, but i need 3 gb ram or more. I have the last Bios update (2009-02-24)

CPU: Core 2 Duo E7500
Motherboard: p4m900-m7 fe 7.0
Ram: 1 gb, A-data 667 mhz, 1 gb Kingston 800 mhz, 2 gb Kingston 800 mhz.
HDD: Western Digital Blue 500 gb, Maxtor 80 gb.
GPU: GT 220x 1 gb ddr3 PNY.
PSU: Generic 550w / EVGA 550w 80 plus bronze.
Chassis: Generic.

You know that the motherboard supports Intel Core 2 Quad right? You might see quite a performance uplift by using a Q8300, most Core 2 processors go for a decent price online

patoesuncapo

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
You know that the motherboard supports Intel Core 2 Quad right? You might see quite a performance uplift by using a Q8300, most Core 2 processors go for a decent price online

Thanks for your time and suggestion, and sorry for my english! I use it for emulation mainly, wii, gc, some ps2. Ghz is more important than cores, emulators only use 2 cores.