Problem with Dell XPS 8300 and new GPU

Abyssalseddrick

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
Just recently bought a Radeon R9 380 Gaming 2G from Tigerdirect.ca, changed my Dell XPS's PSU to 850W,installed this card only to see a black screen at start and system and GPU seems to Power on but is not booting. I heard there was compatibility issues with Dell XPS's so i then updated the system's bios, formatted the windows and tried to find settings in bios. No luck so far...
can anyone confirm if the card is really incompatible with my Dell XPS 8300 ?

Solution
So far I can see 2 cards which can be compatible with XPS 8300: Sapphire R 290 and Sapphire R 285. Some Asus R9 280x as well.
mine
Basically this is the situation, I noticed this with GTX 970 card and similar XPS.
Newer graphic cards have enforced UEFI fully, so if a PC has no UEFI - card would not work, above mentioned cards have DUAL BIOS, UEFI and Legacy (older version) and those cards have a switch located on top of the card, which allows to change card BIOS back and forth.

Examine your card, usually top side, if nothing resembling switch is present - your card has a single UEFI BIOS and would not work on XPS 8300.

There is no Dell BIOS update, which can fix this situation.

EDIT. Just found that SAPPHIRE NITRO R9 380 4G D5 has...
So far I can see 2 cards which can be compatible with XPS 8300: Sapphire R 290 and Sapphire R 285. Some Asus R9 280x as well.
mine
Basically this is the situation, I noticed this with GTX 970 card and similar XPS.
Newer graphic cards have enforced UEFI fully, so if a PC has no UEFI - card would not work, above mentioned cards have DUAL BIOS, UEFI and Legacy (older version) and those cards have a switch located on top of the card, which allows to change card BIOS back and forth.

Examine your card, usually top side, if nothing resembling switch is present - your card has a single UEFI BIOS and would not work on XPS 8300.

There is no Dell BIOS update, which can fix this situation.

EDIT. Just found that SAPPHIRE NITRO R9 380 4G D5 has dual BIOS as well, with a switch.

Solution

John_203

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
Spent all day yesterday searching these forums for 'I tried this and it worked' advice for my XPS 8300, so since I was successful, thought I'd add to the list.

Did NOT work, ASUS R9 380
Works awesome, MSI Geforce GTX 960 4G (there's no switch like a SAPPHIRE card has, it just works)

TRENDING THREADS