Question Problem with disc that shows adequate space, but gags on file tranfers?

Jun 21, 2019
My Toshiba HDWE 140 acts as if it were full even while it shows lots of space on Windows 10. I am including 2 pictures of the problem. I am trying to transfer an 8.68 Gb file to the Toshiba drive, and I get an error message. Explorer shows that it has 371 Gb free. The other picture shows the distribution of free blocks on the drive. It shows lots of free blocks. Some of them have many consecutive. I have run chkdsk a number of times, but it always says the drive is OK. Essentially the last 10% of my Toshiba drive is not accessible. Eventually it gags on a few kb files.

I can fill all of my other drives all the way to just a few blocks free. It also gags on other programs which try to create files that should fit with room to spare. Does anyone have a clue as to what is wrong??? I have also contacted Toshiba.

It

Jun 21, 2019
It is already NTFS as it is a 4Tb drive. In either case it accepts files of any size, but acts full when it has only 300Gb free space. Then it gags on even small files. Something is screwy. It is one of those compromises between an SSD and a regular mechanical hard drive. It has a decent size cache. I do understand backup, and store data in multiple places including a safe deposit.

Jun 21, 2019
Where are you getting 3726, as it is the E drive that acts as if it is full and that one has 4096 Gb in its partition? The Hard drive full Error file shows 371Gb free when I try to transfer 8.68 Gb. The drive scan shows many blocks free. I do not see 2796Gb anywhere in the pictures I have provided. The numbers simply do not add up. The management window does not show any space outside the primary partition.