Question Problem with DOSBox when using official graphics drivers

Inkognito

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
I have an issue with DOSBox.
I'm asking here, because their forum doesn't seem very active. Also, the problem probably isn't specifically related to DOSBox.

When I "Alt Tab" or use "Alt + Enter" to go from full screen to windowed mode or vice versa, the window/program hangs a bit before anything happens (only 2 or 3 seconds).
It started some years ago, and I just attributed it to my old (somewhat failing) graphics card.

I just got a new card Geforce RTX 4060 (old one was Radeon RX 580).
Before I installed the Nvidia drivers, I tested DOSBox with the standard Windows drivers. The problem had disappeared, and the window/program was transitioning from full to windowed mode very fast and smoothly.

After I installed the newest Nvidia drivers, the problem reappeared.
I uninstalled them, and it fixed the problem again.

I am thinking that I probably shouldn't settle for running my new card with the Windows drivers.

Any ideas?

Solution
I never had dosbox stall the system for seconds, not on nvidia and not on amd either, switching is instantaneous.

I would try it with a default dosbox .ini just to see if it's some advanced setting that you changed, maybe the render method or something.
I suspect the issue is using the Windows supplied drivers only offers the bare minimum, which is fine for DOSBox because it doesn't need anything fancy. But what it's probably not doing is all the fancy UI effects that modern Windows does, so there's not a whole lot to go back and forth between exclusive full screen DOSBox and Windows desktop.

But the moment you throw on a video card driver, suddenly all of those fancy things are available and Windows will use them. Which means every time you switch from full screen exclusive to the desktop, it needs to start re-rendering the desktop with all of those fancy things.

Inkognito

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
So I've been using the D-Fend Reloaded GUI for DOSBox.
I tried installing DOSBox standalone, which must have replaced the dosbox.conf file in "Users".
Everything is working perfectly now.
I can't believe, I suffered through years of this, thinking it was my graphics card.

@TerryLaze - Thank you very much.