raidmax 730 watt power supply

mother board:

asrock 870 extreme 3 atx motherboard

graphics card:

sapphire radeon 6850

dvd drive...sony...

hard drive...1 terabyte hard drive

case:

Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Side Panel Window and Four Fans

now here's my problem:

i have everything connected, all the fans work fine (on cpu, graphics card and case as well)

I connect it (either through a vga/dvi connector or hdmi)....i press the power button (on the case)...everything turns on...but i see nothing on the screen.

I have no operating system on the hard drive, I wanted to put one on there, but since I can't get to bios or see anything that's kind of impossible.

I made sure my ram was securely in (it is)...and the graphics card appears to be surely in the motherboard (the fan on it runs)

I can't figure out what I"m doing wrong....

Solution
First double check all connection involving power. Demate and remate the following, The 20/24 pin connector, two the 4/8 pin MB ATX power connector, and third the 6/8 pin PCI-e connector on the Video card ( be surpprise how many forgot to connect that 4/8 pin connector on the MB (also make sure you did not interchange the * pin pci-e connector and a 8 pin ATX connector).

Follow the steps IN below link and report back:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Looking at your setup, your wink link is in choice of a PSU, a 550, or at most a 650 corsair PSU would have been a better choice. Just checked (your 6850 is about the same as my 5770 for power) and unless you plan on a crossfire, or...
First double check all connection involving power. Demate and remate the following, The 20/24 pin connector, two the 4/8 pin MB ATX power connector, and third the 6/8 pin PCI-e connector on the Video card ( be surpprise how many forgot to connect that 4/8 pin connector on the MB (also make sure you did not interchange the * pin pci-e connector and a 8 pin ATX connector).

Follow the steps IN below link and report back:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Looking at your setup, your wink link is in choice of a PSU, a 550, or at most a 650 corsair PSU would have been a better choice. Just checked (your 6850 is about the same as my 5770 for power) and unless you plan on a crossfire, or upgrading to a Much higher GPU (ie 5970) a 450 W corsair would work as your current power requirements are under 350 W at full load.

Solution

jomyron

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
i tried putting the 6 pin connector pci-e of the power supply to the graphics card (at first the graphics card was just in one of the regular 6pin psu plugs, but after i tried that nothing happened....then i plugged the two-fourpin psu plus that weren't connected to anything in the motherboard..nothing happens...then when i took them out and tried it again the fans started to slowly go on and off...and the leds blinked.

jomyron

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
thanks retired chief...i'm such a noob that after i put in the cpu power plug (forgot that as well) it was blinking becuase i accidentally knocked the power connector to the motherboard loose..everything is working fine now..and i'm installing windows 7

I can't express how newbish i am, but also i can't express how happy i am thanks to your help chief...

Deleted part of post since you now have it working. but left below comments

On PSU. ON size. (1) When at max load should be approx 70% -> 80% of Rated PSU (350/70% = 500 W & 350/80% = 438 W Note my OCed I5-750 W/5770, 4 gigs ram, one SSD and 2 HDDs, 1 blue ray writer and one DVD writer is only arround 300 Watts at max load (runing furmark)). Using 300 watts then 70 % becomes 428 W and for 80% is only 385 Watts. Add to this any planed upgrades so if you plan a significant upgrade, ie add a 2nd 6850 then a 550 -> 650 Watt PSU would be a good choice. This is for Min size PSU
On the low end, at Idle (est @ approx 125) would indicate a PSU of 125/20% = 625 Watts This the max size you should get.

Now for the comment you probably are not going to like. Brands, Most around here consider the Raidmax as a door stop and does not belong in a PC. You can kind of look around on comments concering PSU - Remember the brains may be the CPU, but the Heard is the PSU. If it fails, it just may take the brains with it. See below for Recommend PSUs
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/ram-power-supply-support/192217-power-supply-information-selection.html

jomyron

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010

i'm no fanboy when it comes to psu's lol so i'll take your word on the different psu's... to be honest i just looked at the newegg comments on them (feedback) to determine whether or not it was good enough...the corsairs are much more expensive (but you do get what you pay for on average) but i figured since the feedback on the raidmax was mostly good, then I should be fine with it...(plus i liked the led blue fan...yep i'm a newb i know lol)

but I will bookmark the link you gave me, just in case raidmax does go out, yet hopefully if it does go out the brains will still be able to live long enough for a new psu/heart transplant.

edit: i'll probably get corsair eventually, but how long do you think my raidmax would work.... for before i'd probably need a new one..

(here is a link to the raidmax that I got)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152036&cm_re=raidmax_psu-_-17-152-036-_-Product

How long that is a good question.
Did a Quick search and did not find a repuable review, But did find this:
Quote - Source http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254244-31-newegg-build-look-build
You are joking about that Raidmax power supply ?
Friends don't let friends use Raidmax power supplies.
Get a Corsair 750w or a PC Power and Cooling 750w Silencer.
I'd run a Rosewill before i'd put a Raidmax in any system
Other than that abomination, the build looks good.
End quote

Newegg often has sales on their corsair lin-up. I bought the 400 W one for my wifes I3 build (Less than 40 Bucks), then they had the 650 watt at a great price, picked it up, in closet for when I need it.

jomyron

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
hmm I think I may buy a 650 or 750..for when the raidmax shows (any) sign of not being what i need it to be lol...Once again thanks for your help (i just got to wait till i get my next check...)...spent all of my money on my current specs lol...

and that was pretty funny (friends don't let friends use raidmax power supplies lol