[SOLVED] Problem with formatting multiple USB drives

Madhatter4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005
When I plug in any previously formatted USB drive I cant create one drive. It always comes up with partitions that I did not make. I went into Disk Management and have the following info on the usb thumb drives in question.
Disk 2 Removable - 8.00 GB Healthy (EFI System Partition) followed by New Volume F: 21.88 GB NTFS. Healthy (Primary Partition)

I want to get rid of the partitions and have just one drive listed. I have right clicked on the New Volume F and can shrink the volume but not extend it. I even deleted New Volume F then recreated it and the same thing happens.

Does anyone know how to format a USB stick and not get partitions?

Thanks for the help

Solution
thats windows installation (8gb efi)
use rufus to wipe it all

under device select your drive
under boot selection select non bootable
partition scheme set as MBR
under file system choose anything u like (fat32/exfat/ntfs)

popatim

Titan
Basically you open disk management, find the flashdrive. Rt click on each partition and delete them. When the drive has no partitions you rt click on it on the left side of the partitions and select Convert to MBR. Then when you format it, it will probably be as NTFS but, depending on its size , you can choose other formats. I prefer Exfat since it works just about everywhere, even on Macs.

Madhatter4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005
Ok so if I open Disk Management and right click on Disk 2 Removable - 8.00 GB Healthy (EFI System Partition) The only option that comes up is Help. Keep in mind this same thing has occurred with various usb thumb drives. Why is my computer creating a second partition? an 8 gig partition and a 21.88 gig partition

thats windows installation (8gb efi)
use rufus to wipe it all

under device select your drive
under boot selection select non bootable
partition scheme set as MBR
under file system choose anything u like (fat32/exfat/ntfs)

Solution